Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks,

We had a bit of a snow storm over the New Year and I got a chance to play around a bit on New Years Day in my '69 404.

A guy we know lives a ways back in the woods and got his pickup buried trying to come out for some groceries. Two of my friends went in a Heep to take some groceries in to him. They were doing ok until they had to get around the guys truck which was stuck in the lane. They ended up sliding sideways down a hill and got stuck in the ditch.

So they called me.

On the scene, you can see the guys pickup in the background:

He blew his front ring and pinion and his front axle was locked up, solid hubs too so it was a hard drag out without the front wheels turning:

We hauled him to a spot that had blown bare and left the Heep there for him to retrieve when the place gets plowed out. As you can see it's not a low Heep. The guy in the pic is 6'3". Lots of lift, lockers front and rear, CroMo axles etc.

On the way back out. The two guys from the Heep had to sit in back of course! It was about as cold as it looks.....

Later on that evening, the guy who plows our lane and driveway got his Kubota down over a bank with a tree between the snowblower and the tractor.

So he called me.

A little work with the Stihl and a winch job with the MOG and he was able to resume activities:

Not a bad day for a 40 year old truck. It also happened to be my birthday. (I'm only slightly older than the truck).

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
5,856 Posts
a fun day with a couple tuff situations overcome. End results giving you warm fuzy feelings of success.

What a great B.day present to yourself.

Happy B.day.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Happy birthday, and well done! Nothing more satisfying than using old technology to rescue the new technology!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I love to wheel in that kind of snow - cold and fluffy !
But, as your friend found out, beware breaking through the hard crust of a deep drift !

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey Twotone, that is awesome!! I am so jealous right now. Although we have a ton of snow here, I have yet to get the mog out for a spin. Seeing your pics has inspired me to go play.

Ps. Happy birthday to you and my Unimogs long lost brother!! Its hard to beleive they are 40, I think they are holding up better then we are.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Mine is having it's 48th birthday in 2 weeks (I have the data card), I shall hold a 50th party for it when the day arrives.

Whenever I go to an off roading day I always joke that the land rovers have a tow strap ready on the the front, and I have a tow strap ready on the back :)

As Jim Ince would say, "Prost Unimog!"

jim

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ps. Happy birthday to you and my Unimogs long lost brother!! Its hard to beleive they are 40, I think they are holding up better then we are.
Thanks,
At least my MOG hasn't put on any weight......better than I can say for myself!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whenever I go to an off roading day I always joke that the land rovers have a tow strap ready on the the front, and I have a tow strap ready on the back :)
jim
Yeah, I joke with the Heep guy that I mounted my winch on the back for that reason....

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
No joke ! I've found this to be very true.

I've asked a couple of LR owners why the had winches mounted on the rear. I asked, "Isn't the idea to go FORWARD, not retreat ?" Somehow, they never appreciate the joke.

BTW, I also own a Rover so no flaming ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mogasaurus, do you keep your Rover in Joe's Garage?

*end obscure Zappa reference*

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Mogasaurus, do you keep your Rover in Joe's Garage?

*end obscure Zappa reference*

It wasn’t very large
There was just enough room to cram the drums
In the corner over by the dodge
It was a fifty-four
With a mashed up door
And a cheesy little amp
With a sign on the front said "fender champ"
And a second hand guitar
It was a stratocaster with a whammy bar

..and I might be The Central Scrutinizer :cool:

Remember, the white zone is for loading and unloading only..

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
It wasn’t very large
There was just enough room to cram the drums
In the corner over by the dodge
It was a fifty-four
With a mashed up door
And a cheesy little amp
With a sign on the front said "fender champ"
And a second hand guitar
It was a stratocaster with a whammy bar

..and I might be The Central Scrutinizer :cool:

Remember, the white zone is for loading and unloading only..
I'm hitting the bed laughing after that. Haven't heard Joe's Garage since college..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey Twotone, your pics got me motivated. I fired up the 404 and headed out today. Felt good to drive it again. Walked through snow that had my Landcruiser stopped in its tracks. Went to Future Shop and picked up my new 52" Sony tv with it. Talk about the meeting of old and new technology....hmmm that was about the price of those tires I want.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went to Future Shop and picked up my new 52" Sony tv with it. Talk about the meeting of old and new technology....hmmm that was about the price of those tires I want.
YOU, Sir, need to get you priorities straight!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts