Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1969 404.1, 1987 300SDL, 1999 C230K
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find out how I am supposed to attach a new soft top to my 404. I've done a search of this forum. I've searched the internet. I've contacted EI last weekend through their webpage online contact form. I called EI yesterday and left a message. I've done all of this, and still have not had any success.

The EI Service Bulletin page regarding the installation of their folding top does not work. The linked page returns to the same page.

I'd like to go hunting soon, but without a top I won't be able to take my Unimog.

Does anyone have the soft top installation instructions?

·
Registered
1981 u1300L, 1998 s280
2,113 Posts
How or what are you stuck on? The metal rails go through the fabric, the whole lot flops over and then put the leather buckles through the hoops on the body. At the top of the screen there should be a metal plate which screws on to keep the front attached to the screen with the fabric sandwiched between the plate and the screen frame.

·
Registered
Unimogs
874 Posts
To be honest we hadn't realized that the service bulletin on the top had unlinked on the site until you called.... Anyways, I'll get it fixed on the site.

Pretty straight forward.

#1 Attach the leather loops over the center bar.
#2 Screw Down the tensioning screws at the folding portion to take all tension off the bows.
#3 attach to the back edge of the cab
#4 Pull the canvas snug and with a punch screw in the screws and strip along the front edge edge of the bows starting from the center going out.
#5 Install the rear strip and screws on the back of the bows.
#6 Re-tension the top with the tensioning screws.

Install in the heat/sun as it makes the top easier to stretch.

Cheers,

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts