Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
my 404 got stuck in 5th gear, and wouldn't shift out of it.
I finally managed to shift it out, but now my truck only thinks
it has gears 1-4; the shift lever will not even go to the right past gears 1-4.

I had the side plate off, and saw nothing out of the ordinary.
I now plan to take the top off, and start looking at the
shift plate to make sure all is in order there.

Does any one have
a) ideas as to what might be going on or how to fix it?
b) diagrams of what the shift plate setup should look like in various gears, especially 5th, 6th, and 4th or 4rd?

Thanks,
Joe in Cheyenne

·
Registered
'62 Unimog 404
132 Posts
I don't have any diagrams but I do have some photos that I took when I converted a tranny to eight speed. There is a mechanism that will lock you out of 5-6 if it doesn't get shifted well into 3rd from 1st/2nd. I had this problem on occasion before the 8 speed conversion but that eliminates that rat trap contraption and the problem as well. While you have this stuff out, do the conversion. It is one of the best things I have done to my mog. Keep in mind everything works backwards from the shifter. Move the shifter forward and the finger at the other end moves backward, move the shifter left and the finger moves right. In the picture below, the rear of the shift plate is at the top of the picture.

Full size photos can be found here.

Attachments

·
Registered
'62 Unimog 404
132 Posts
Hi Joe,

I did use Bernardo's guide in my conversion. I can't figure out by looking at the pictures how exactly it worked but I know when I had problems shifting into 5-6, I would have to go back to 1st or 2nd and then back through the gate and put it in 3rd. Then it would allow you to shift into 5th or 6th. If you bypassed 3rd you were locked out. I am heading out to the shop this morning so I will take a look at my spare transmission and see if I can give you a better description.

·
Registered
'62 Unimog 404
132 Posts
I never made it out to the shop yesterday but I fiddled around with my spare transmission this morning (after I spent 30 minutes locating and removing the bolt I dropped in the tranny, D'oh!) and figured out the lock out mechanism.

Hope this helps,

pat

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Pat!

Armed with what you initially said, I shifted into 1st and second, and went backward and forward, then shifted into third, then fourth, and tried to shift into 5th when up to speed.

I repeated this over and over until something released, and I was able to grudgingly shift into 5th and 6th. As I repeated this process still more, and drove around in 5th and 6th,
they got easier to use until they seemed normal.

Thanks again for your help! Saved me a whole world of hurt--and I may yet make an 8 speed out of this thing.
Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts