Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and found a few answers, but am looking for a few more on this topic. Im looking to make a rockcrawling buggy out of my Mog 404. I want to stick with the chassis, and make a tube frame/body on top of the standard chassis. Somewhat similar to this. http://web.archive.org/web/20040604004816/www.dansunimogs.com/RockMogForSale.htm

Id like to go with a turbo diesel motor out of a 300D, mainly to stick with the Benz theme, and because I have access to several good running free motors. Since I wont have a cab, and therefore no clearance issues, will a 617 physically bolt up to the stock 404 bellhousing?

If it does, then can I simply use a 300D flywheel from a manual transmission car, and set it up to work with the mog pressure plate, or just get a clutch disc with the correct center hub setup for the 300D pressure plate?

Do any of you guys see where I might be running into problems with a swap like this? Thanks in advance.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
5,856 Posts
In your search did you find the threads discussing the G wagon clutch parts typically used for this conversion?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found one thread, started by you I believe, with a diagram in it. That provided some help, now if I could just figure out if the 617 will physically bolt to the 404 bellhousing, I would be all set.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Watch out for the Turbo diesels that have trap oxidizers. They were on the US models including the 85' 300D, 300CD, 300TD, and 300SD California model [sold in 11 Western States] and the 87' 300D turbo, 300TD turbo wagon and the 300SDL. These engines, if not updated can have some premature wear from the trap oxidizer mesh fracturing and destroying the turbo, or engine. Or it can plug and overheat the motor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I will keep an eye out for those motors and stay away from them. I think the 300D turbo motors that my buddy has range from 80-84 (somewhere in that range). From what I have read, the motor will bolt up, but I would like to confirm this from someone who has done it, and confirm the best/easiest clutch setup? Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts