Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1962 404, 1957 405SH and lots of Landrovers
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the 404 was running beautifully until coming back from a run recently when it started to get hard to go into both 1st and 3rd, mainly from static. when dropping down whilst moving it goes in ok. it feels as though the gear lever isn't getting full travel and as a result the gears arn't messing properly resulting in a "grind"
I pulled the side plate and checked inside the box and can see no wear, marks, broken bits or stuck synchros.
If static i can go into 2nd with the clutch in and then 1st with no bother, but not always straight to 1st.
similarly 4th and 3rd.
From reading the manual 1st and 3rd appear to have different synchros so at the minute i think it is a lever/linkage issue; any thoughts???

:confused:

j

·
Registered
'88 U-1300L, '70 406, '78 406, '78 416 project, '82 406, '57 404, '65 404, '70 404, '68 Haflinger.
1,849 Posts
If your clutch has started dragging slightly, the tranny will feel hard to shift in lower gears. How is the TOB freeplay adjustment? The pedal should move about an inch before contact with TOB.

If the problem is not a dragging clutch, I'd recommend a lube change ASAP, and seriously consider using synthetic lube. Overheating a 404 transmission can cause the shifting problems, too. Sometimes the symptoms subside when cooled off, sometimes they get permanent. Then it does get expensive.

Bob

·
Registered
U1300L Turbo x 3
754 Posts
Your gearbox might be getting ready for a seize up - since a number of shafts are supported on bushings, poor lubrication and wear can cause them to bind up, especially when the gearbox is hot. Does it behave the same way when you first start driving when cold?

Ok the 404 was running beautifully until coming back from a run recently when it started to get hard to go into both 1st and 3rd, mainly from static. when dropping down whilst moving it goes in ok. it feels as though the gear lever isn't getting full travel and as a result the gears arn't messing properly resulting in a "grind"
I pulled the side plate and checked inside the box and can see no wear, marks, broken bits or stuck synchros.
If static i can go into 2nd with the clutch in and then 1st with no bother, but not always straight to 1st.
similarly 4th and 3rd.
From reading the manual 1st and 3rd appear to have different synchros so at the minute i think it is a lever/linkage issue; any thoughts???

:confused:

j

·
Registered
1962 404, 1957 405SH and lots of Landrovers
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Box is well lubed and free, will check the clutch adjustment and lever assembly tomorrow. It had a new TOB last year so may need tweaking. there doesn't seem to be any difference when the box is hot or cold but the NI weather means it shouldn't get warm and she hasn't been run hard.

;)

j

1 - 6 of 6 Posts