Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1959 411.110
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sitting for a few months, my 1962 404 won't start; I've determined that it is a fuel delivery problem. With the fuel line diverted from the carb. to a jar, I can see that the pump sends a brief single squirt of fuel but then nothing as I continue to crank the engine. Fuel does fill the bowl in the fuel filter immediately before the pump so I'm suspecting the pump, correct?

Also, the hand primer on the pump builds no resistance after being pumped for a minute or so.

Can the pump be rebuilt? Anyone have a similar problem?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
1967 404 Unimog (Belgian), 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
253 Posts
I've never had this problem, but can offer a few suggestions.

404's are notorious for having a lot of debris in the fuel system. As much of this is rust, a vehicle that had been sitting for a while would have this problem. The debris clogs lines and filters. You'll need to check them. There should be a fairly coarse filter in each fuel tank, another under the truck before the fuel enters the pump and a third inside the pump. Remove the bolt from the dome shaped cover on the fuel pump to access the filter.

In my opinion removing the fuel pump for a thorough cleaning is beneficial. And yes they are rebuildable. Good luck.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
Check the FAQ / DIY thread that can be found in the Ultimate Sticky ontop of this forum.

If I recall right there is a seriese of pics and descrition linked in there about a 404 fuel pump rebuild.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts