Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1957 404 FireMog
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Could someone please post or send me a picture of the front pto bearing support for a 404. Also if possible could you tell me what kind of bearing is in it, single row ball? double row ball? roller? From looking at the pto shaft I am assuming the bearing mounts to the splined area. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I will probable be fabing one up in the shop. Would anyone else be interested in one?

Thanks,

Jeff

How about just a description. Does the bearing press onto the splined part of the shaft? About how thich is the bearing supprot front to back?

·
Registered
1957 404 FireMog
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

Jorgen

Thank you very much for taking the time to take and post those pictures. That is very different than I was picturing in my mind.
The spline on the PTO shaft I have is finer than the one on your shaft and there is no front universal joint. I wonder if I have the right shaft?

Regards,
Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
63 UNIMOG S404.115
116 Posts
I wonder if I have the right shaft?
G'day again Jeff,

You have the right shaft, but only half of what you require. Just been out and checked mine and the shaft you have is the section from the PTO drive at the G/B as far as the male spline that mates with your missing section. This comprises a second UJ with a female spline, the bearing housing and equipment drive spline (coarse). I've also checked my rear PTO and the bearing housing looks identical (but you can't have it).

If you look at Jorgens arrangement you can see the spline attaching the UJ at right of picture. Mine just happens to be assembled the other way with the splined UJ bolted up to the bearing housing.

Unless you want a different drive to std I think it would be easier to just hunt up a front or rear bearing housing and have a bolt on solution.

Cheers and luck with the HC head

Tony

·
Registered
1957 404 FireMog
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Aw shoot!

Well no wonder it wasn't installed when I got the truck. I think I have little chance of frinding a bearing support so Tony please send me one of yours. Based on the latches it shouldn't cost more than $500 to mail and if you send it tomorrow I might get it in time for the first snow fall here.

If anyone has a front PTO shaft, or the parts I need to make this one complete, they would sell please PM me.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
63 UNIMOG S404.115
116 Posts
Based on the latches it shouldn't cost more than $500 to mail and if you send it tomorrow I might get it in time for the first snow fall here.
Next time we try that trick I'll send it in the opposite direction, that way it'll arrive before it was sent.

Just a guess here but any TLF MOG should originally have had both front and rear PTO's. The rear isn't much use to most except to drive the fire pump or perhaps run a rear winch so maybe some sweet talking might separate a MOG from their rear PTO. My rear PTO is currently removed and I have some water tanks being installed between the chassis rails where the PTO bearing usually resides. Further back I am putting in an equipment locker between the rails so my ability to use the rear PTO is uncertain. You never know.....

Cheers

Tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts