Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
63' Unimog 404 TLF-8, 08' Smart 451 Passion, 88' MB 560SEL (sold)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read some great suggestions online for replacement fluids for the 404's. Standard oils versus Synthetic, etc. However in all that great info I never saw any info on quantity?

How much replacement oil to fill the gearbox, engine, diffs and portals? I'm likely gonna go the Synthetic route and prefer not to over order.

Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,823 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If I didn't own a manual....I'd be dependant upon 3rd party source. This is not interdependance. If I didn't have my own manual...I'd have nothing to compare manufacture information too 3rd party disclaimers which are usually interpretation. If I didn't have a manual I'm putting all my hard work and time in somebody else's hands which I don't know from Adam....It be like giving letting someone borrow your truck that you don't know or give someone your kid for the day and hopefully do what's in the best interests of your kid with no instructions. Tooooo Everybody on the forum.....If you own a car, truck, Unimog, Man, Isuzu, Freightliner...Buy a factory manual...this way you have a starting place to start from and you know what the hell it is your asking for.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
63' Unimog 404 TLF-8, 08' Smart 451 Passion, 88' MB 560SEL (sold)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 6 year old daughter has an owners manual? Why didn't anyone tell me, that would have been really handy.

I've had my Unimog for only a few weeks and it's shaping up to be a cold winter. While I have an english manual ordered and on it's way I was hoping to get the fluids replaced as soon as possible so I know the systems are cold winter safe and not holding small amount of water, or ineffective oils, etc.

Your advice is sensible, I was just hoping for a quick answer from some knowledgeable owners.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,823 Posts
Good thing the core of the package is scans of the factory manuals!

That said, I highly encourage everyone to buy hardcopy paper manuals for their trucks if their truck did not come with one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts