Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Unimog 404
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm getting my W.German 404 back online after lots of cosmetic restoration and a winter of basically sitting in the garage. I have two Optimia batteries with a confirmed charge. Every single electical component on the truck is acting dead as can be. Where would you guys start troubleshooting at? Do the battery cut off switchs go bad, or would you guys start at the harness/fuses? Last question is can I use a regular test light (from NAPA assume it's a 12vlt) or do I need a test light specific to 24v?

Thanks,
TWR

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
You can make a simple test light with any 24v bulb, but better yet, get a multimeter and work from the battery backwards. 99% of the time my gremlins are the result of a bad or dirty ground somewhere, so scrutinize the negative side. The disconnect is made for military service; I'm sure it could go bad but would look elsewhere first. I'd first check - clean the ends of all cables and wires between the battery and starter, then the same for the ignition system.

·
Registered
63 UNIMOG S404.115
116 Posts
The disconnect is made for military service; I'm sure it could go bad but would look elsewhere first. I'd first check - clean the ends of all cables and wires between the battery and starter, then the same for the ignition system.
It only takes seconds to check the main earth switch. If absolutely everything is electrically dead then why not eliminate the major link in the system first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts