Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been trying to find a power steering solution for our 404's.

So far we have tried a torque generator and it works well but there is no self return on it and the power steering pump trends to take a few to many horses from the engine.

We also have some rams for Hydro assists, but we have been looking at an electric power steering option.

Has anyone had any experience with an electric setup?

From what we have seen it seems to be a good solution as it leaves the steering column intact, has a failsafe which gives you your normal non assisted steering if the system fails, and even allows you to adjust the steerign assist via a dial on the dash.

Any comments on an electric setup?

·
Registered
'62 Swiss 404
145 Posts
So how does it work?

There is an electric pump that attaches to a hydraulic ram that uses a sensor on the steering shaft?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
much simpler, it is basically an electric motor that attaches to the steering shaft.

Two sensors on the steering rack are used. One sensor monitors driver input from the steering wheel. As soon as the wheel is turned, the steering module provides power to an electric motor that moves the steering gear. The second sensor monitors the steering gear position and provides feedback on correct operation to the steering module. Other inputs such as vehicle speed or vehicle lateral acceleration can be used to modify steering assist for better steering feel.

The electric steering unit is still connected to the steering wheel by a steel shaft, but this is only used to provide input to the sensor during normal operation. If the steering module detects a fault, it shuts down the electric motor and the steel shaft allows the vehicle to still be steered.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
So this is electronic Assist steering. Very intresting. How well does it handle getting dipped in water, splashed with Mud etc etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got it....

not a new idea, but definitely new to mogs.
My '04 chevy malibu has electric power assist steering.
The setup works really well, and is completely transparent in terms of feedback.
At higher speeds, there is no boost at all, and no parasitic pump drag, which results in better MPG (probably not a big MOG concern).
I'll admit that I've not had the need to study the system until now, but will
be headed under the car to look at it. Besides the obvious differences, Malibu using rack and pinion, vs. pitman arm, it just might work! Voltage difference would be a minor issue to solve....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do they sell the pumps for heavy duty apps tho? I'm new so correct me if I'm wrong with the weight and tire size of the 404's even, wouldn't that burn out a pump for a lighter duty app? When I went wheeling with my friend in his 93 4 runner crawler, we always bunt out the standard toyota pumps...

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
Do they sell the pumps for heavy duty apps tho? ... When I went wheeling with my friend in his 93 4 runner crawler, we always bunt out the standard toyota pumps...
Well... not sure. Matters if we are we talking electric motor spinning a hydraulic pump or not. If its an all electric thus no pump at all (no hydraulics at all) then your example does not apply. Though it might transfer some in that maybe a light duty vehicle's electric steering assist system might not have a strong enough electrical motor thus it either burns it out and/or is just not able to handle the task of the larger tires etc.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the one we are looking at is rated for a maximum axle load of 3200 pounds. so We are thinking it should be ok for a 404.

Its not cheap, but its simple, should be reliable, wont rob the mog of precious horse power and has many other benefits..such as being able to adjust the amount of assist on the fly.

Unfortunately in Australia even fitting a simple tourque generator steering setup can cost around 1400.00..which admittadly is half the cost of a electric setup but without the benefits..and we have done this and the results are great off-road but useless onroad.

Will probably fit it up to a 710K Pizgauer first and see how it all goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts