Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know who still has inventory of 404 unimog gas engines that were army surplus rebuilds sealed etc??? I see Expeditions Importns does but who else is still dealing in them?? Does anybody have a good used engine forsale that can be heard and videoed before buying and pulling, my 1959 is dead and several want to buy it if i can still find a motor for it and somebody to install it. Who in Texas still installs 404 motors if i can come up with one, there used to be 2 or 3 shops but i have lost the addys to them and cant remeber what they were called to google search them, how much do you think a new crate motor is going for and how much to pull out the old one and intall a new are shops charging fora 404 german unimog?? Thanks in advance, I am trying to sell mine due to illiness, here are some pics of the good old days

Photo 1 of 145, Unimog

Albums By huntnequip - ImageEvent

I am only asking $4000 for it and its on unimog exchange and Pirate along with the haul trailer $6000 i used to haul it on, if it does not sell quick i guess i have to part it out on ebay yeechhhhhh lol

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
OK....pass on that guy. I purchased my mog and it varily ran for double that. If this is guy wants your Mog it's as is, where is ect. An engine is going to cost you/rebuilt/crate...Well Scott's engines are a good starting point. I've seen them on Ebay but any other dealer in the West is going to be comparable. Taking it into the shop and havin that engine removed...well it's more than just removing the cab, marking all electrical connections, seperating the engine from the trans which isn't hard but it's the time. If you've never done it before Maybe 2-3 days. People who have done several...8hours. I've done it...but you havet to know what your doing. So If you take an experienced person 8-10+/- hours x that by $50-110hr....Well Your looking at between $400-possibly $1K. Most shop would probably just give you a flat rate. Now you could possibly get just the long block ect....this could be cheaper if you could find someone willing to do this for you. Here's the catch....What new Mog owner would change out the engine without also doing an inspection on clutch and T/O bearing ect....So your selling for $4000 well now you made possibly $500 off the who deal...unless the person interested is buying the truck as is and wants you to coordinate someone in the Mog community to pull the engine ect....that would be a bit different. But if the guy who wants it wants you to sell it to him for $4K with a new engine....He's either your brother/the sister you never knew or the mafia who you owe something too. Don't do it...Tell him to find another one. Depending on the condition...Back in the days a Mog was worth that and then some not running....

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
Welllllll I'lllllll be its Mogadillo. Long time Sir. Good to see you.

Funny thing.... guess where I live now..... YUP... TX Way north of you though.

You know any north TX or South OK folk with BIG offroad rigs like Mog or Duece 1/2?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me remind you this truck will part out $2000 for the used axes, the 5 customs tires with custom wheels $2000 , the 5 stock unimmog wheels, prob $50 each, the 5 cookie cutter uminhgo wheels prob the same or more, the Braden winch with pto, shaft and custom winch bumper prob $1500, then the bed $1500, sell the trans $500, the engine and heads $300 on a pallet pulled, the Machine gun mount prob $500, I have alot of extra stuff left over from when i set up this engine with Mikuni carbs with a custom stainless intake and exhasst plus some custom cam grinds, thats prob where I am headed alas but it is the factooids of moglife. Economy is dead dead, location is key to selling 404's lppks like, if are near a large west coast city or east coast city with a used mog ring dealer that helps, i am so far south nobody will buy them and haul them due to diatance and just rockcrawler crowd is not large in south texaslol. I just wanted somebody to say what the motors were going for and the install, i have cancer in both legs so me pulling the cab off again to install a motor is not an option. I was figuring somebody else had some engines still gatering dust in a Museum ex mog dealers, the truck engine are not what they ask for them, you can buy a used truck and cut it up and install the used motor, does anybody know what any shop charged to intstall a set in engine, what does the unmog 404 factory labor rate call for?? Hello coach, been long time, its a crying shame the Pirate 4x4 site became nothing but a waste of time for unimog 404 owers since you left, I still remeber the good old days and they are not forgotten by melol I quit coming around after that skumbag in Ca oinked me for those twin carbs and manifold they screwed me over, Moss I think was the cheaters namelol Come down for a hunt after deer season is over Jan 30, free of cousre, there is a good freind of mine building m35 m37 and misc powerwagons with super single 16x20 tires on the cheap with military winches and bumpers. Good to hear from you and anybody else who coments on my quzing up of the 404 motor story source and replacement.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,037 Posts
Any descent shop in texas can install a 404 engine. You really don't need a mog specific shop. In fact a mog specific shop will likely overcharge.

·
Registered
1963 Swiss 404
10 Posts
MG Mount?????????????

Will someone please tell me what picture shows the MG Mount, I just can't seem to find it! That I need being in Chicagoland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts