Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
92 400SE, 93 400E, 01 CLK320, 01 ML320, 98 Land Rover Discovery
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today after driving out of the parking lot my 92 400SE began choking, sputtering and did not have any power. The engine acted like it was going to die, but I continued to “sputter� along at about 15mph. When I reached the traffic light, I put the car in park and turned the engine off. After restarting the car, the engine was fine and the car operated normal.

Anyone have any ideas what might have caused the problem and will it likely return again?

Thanks
Russell

· Registered
See signature
60 Posts
Hows the engine wiring harness? Has that been replaced yet? On my 500, when it was going o...

Hows the engine wiring harness? Has that been replaced yet? On my 500, when it was going out, it caused an injector to sometimes not fire, which would do the same thing you're talking about. It started doing it again, but I think I have a fouled plug this time as its been quite a while since a change. So, if its been over 120k on the car, I'd check out the wiring harness, and also check your plugs, wires, and caps. It could be an exposed plug wire too. Let us know if any of those things are it.

· Registered
2007 s550
35 Posts
engine choking

Sounds like limp home mode.
These cars have a mode when bad things happen the car will not leave you stranded, it will give you just enough power to get home. My car has had similar experiences, but usually the asr light will come on.
If your car didn't do that it probably might be the wiring harness. Either way it will happen again.
I've been seeking someone that has the exact same car as me to compare notes with. If your interested maybe we can compare notes so i can give you some of my repairs, an you like wise. To kinda give us a leg up on what's to expect as our cars get older. Mine has 151,000 miles.
Let me know what you think.
drk. grn. 400se [:D]

· Registered
See signature
60 Posts
My car is still doing that, and now the check engine light came on. I'm going to check out...

My car is still doing that, and now the check engine light came on. I'm going to check out the MAF, as that is probably a likely culprit. All of my vacuum lines are connected and seem in tact (check yours), and some EGR junk was fixed before as well as a dead plug wire. The new spark plugs I put in didn't help, so I'm definately going to check out another MAF. I'm hoping the 600 engine uses one MAF and throttle body, and also I can hopefully use them, as I'm sure they're larger if they use one of each. If I, I mean when I, fix mine, I'll let you know what it is. Let us know what you find out too.

· Registered
8 Posts
I know this is an ancient thread but hopefully this helps anyone else:

I had the exact same problem on my 92 400se also.

At first I thought it was due to my battery had run flat and I drove it on a low charge (thought there was not enough spark, as the computer would send all available power to the altenator instead of coil) but today after I connected it up for a few runs and resets of the star short scan, there was a fault with the electric throttle... (Sorry, I'm not sure of the correct name of the part, but it's the metal box that is attached to the throttle body side) - also possibly the wiring harness that connects to that part.
Either of these will cause that exact problem.

Ill post the exact parts names later when my merc mechanic replies).
*I had initially hooked up to star to see why my cruise control wouldnt work at all.. Turned out it was just the brake pedal switch that needed replacing, works perfectly now :)

Hope this kind of helps.

Shakir

· Registered
88 Mercedes 300SEL/15 Hyundai Sonata/91 Cadillac DeVille/72 Caprice Estate/73 Pontiac Grand Ville
540 Posts
Thanks for this info. My '93 400SEL had been doing this occasionally, (it was like when I would first start out, it would stall and seem as if it was running out of fuel) but only after the engine had warmed up and when I would first start it, such as coming out from a market or restaurant. After a few seconds of driving it would be OK and not do it again for days. I still wonder if that was part of my "no start" issue that happened a few months ago. I finally got the car running again and while I have not driven it on the road, it seems OK now.

The thing is however my car had the engine wiring harness replaced a few years ago... is this part separate from the main engine wiring harness? If it is separate, how costly is the part and how difficult to replace?

Thanks!

· Registered
88 Mercedes 300SEL/15 Hyundai Sonata/91 Cadillac DeVille/72 Caprice Estate/73 Pontiac Grand Ville
540 Posts
Thanks! oml, it looks like a mess. Hoping that is not my issue! Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.