Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic Wagon (115,000 Miles)
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a good write up or procedure for removing the blower motor on a 93 400E? I looked at the DIY thread on the top of the forum but it looks a lot different. My motor squeaks constantly with the fan on any speed...It sounds like there are little birds chirping inside my dash. I am assuming the brushes are toast but I would also like to inspect the fan and bearings and mounts. I am getting stuck once I get to the wiper assembly and the rubber that circles around it...Anyone done this before? Thanks

-Landon

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but that first link is the one I am refering to. My 400E is a little different. And I am positive it isn't under the dash.

·
Registered
2013 E350 sedan, 2013 E350 cab, 1993 400E sold,1999 ML320
2,436 Posts
Your blower motor is under the wiper. With or without filters. Once the wiper is off and drains are out then you pull the shielding from center engine compartment area the remove the plastic parts for the box around it. The squeak is usually bearings needing more grease. I do mine every year or so. If i worked the grease in more it would probably last longer but the smell of the grease warmed up makes the cab stink for a while so i dont put much in.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally managed to get it out. The brushes and commutator don't look like they are in very good shape...I greased the bearings to see how that does and I suppose if it continues to squeak I will just buy a new one.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While working on this project and putting everything back together, putting all the screws in the drains along the bottom of the windshield, I was struggling with one screw that is hard to get to because of the angle of the hood...That's when I discovered the 2 pins you can push in to get the hood to go straight up at more than 90 degrees...HOW COOL!!! All these little things I discover (that most people probably already know about) when I work on my car makes me love Mercedes-Benz more and more! It makes up for all of the wire insulation that turns into dust LOL!

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,408 Posts
I finally managed to get it out. The brushes and commutator don't look like they are in very good shape...I greased the bearings to see how that does and I suppose if it continues to squeak I will just buy a new one.
The blower motor has sintered bearings on each end of the shaft. It's not practical to take everything apart to get to them and replace. However, after cleaning them up with some sort of spray solvent you can re-OIL them. Bear in mind though that whatever oil you use, its odor will permeate the cab for a longtime.

At first I used ATF, which the German's are particularly fond of...too smelly. Then I tried turbine oil which was less stinky, but still present. After that, I'm too lazy to go in there once again and try something else. The blower is going to amplify the smell of any lubricant you use, unfortunately. I can't smell it now, but it's a full yr later.

Do replace the brushes but be VERY careful with that squirrel cage, as it's EASY to break or melt as you solder in the new brushes. That's why a lot of peeps just opt for a new unit. You could also buy the picture tutorial, brushes and soldering shields from this place: http://www.mercedessource.com/

Kevin

·
Premium Member
10,408 Posts
While working on this project and putting everything back together, putting all the screws in the drains along the bottom of the windshield, I was struggling with one screw that is hard to get to because of the angle of the hood...That's when I discovered the 2 pins you can push in to get the hood to go straight up at more than 90 degrees...HOW COOL!!! All these little things I discover (that most people probably already know about) when I work on my car makes me love Mercedes-Benz more and more! It makes up for all of the wire insulation that turns into dust LOL!
Putting the hood up in the service position is the only way to go...just be careful if outside on a windy day.:eek: If you work on these cars a lot, you will discover that there is no substitute for the proper tool. You can sure see the cars that were hacked, versus service with the correct tool. You can even rent the specialized tools now from partstree. Plus, the correct tools make the jobs go infinitely faster!:thumbsup:

Kevin

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for introducing me to that website I will be sure to check there for parts and tools from now on.

·
Premium Member
10,408 Posts
Just be careful not to buy economy parts there....like suspension, engine etc. They try to give you value in those parts, but sometimes 'value in a MB car is not always the best choice. But for tools and small items like the blower brush kit, they're fine. It's a family owned/run business in WA.

Kevin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts