Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Unimog 404
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am looking at a 400e and I had the car inspected. The results are as follows.

-One broken motor mount( I am sure the other is right behind it)
-leeking pwer steering pump
-pass headrest doesn't move
-rear headrests don't flop down

Are these potentially big dollars? I think a new pump out and in costs about a grand CAN but the other stuff I don't know. There are a few trim problems but I can fix those. All in all it sounds to me like a pretty decent car. The guy wants $10900 Canadian without fixing the problems. Does that sound fair?

Thanks guys
Graham

·
Registered
68 280 SEL, 89 300TE
906 Posts
I bought mine, with some minor cosmetic issues, and had to replace the serpintine belt and wiring harness and a few other things in the ignition system, and I paid $5,600 USD with 120k miles. I would assume that the wiring harness on this is bad as well... after having to replace the oxygen pump, and the starter... I know that working on this engine takes time as it is shoehorned into the engine bay. BUT, this car hauls, and I love it! I just had a catback flowmaster exhaust put on last saturday and the sound this makes is awesome, a mellow burble and not too loud! I haven't played my stereo for the last week, just let the music come from the engine, I highly recommend this mod!

best of luck.

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum!
For starters, motor mounts are $140 each and probably both have to be replaced. I replaced my mounts, myself(1-2 hours). I sent you a picture of what the mounts look like..
For the power-steering pump, unfortunately you have to buy the repair kit(approx. $60). This will stop the pump from leaking oil and the performance will be better!(picture down below).
For the passenger headrest, it's probably the seat switch. Take it out and spray wd-40 in it/spray it dry and if it doesn't work now, sorry!($150)picture below.
Rear headrests, check fuses and switch. These are vacuum operated and you might have a leak somewhere in the system!
Overall, these are minor problems!
Check, more important things like: wiring harness, ignition, engine compression, head gasket, transmission etc, etc....
Good luck, hope you buy it if you love!

Mercedes owner 4-life baby!!!!
Spiros
(Toronto Ontario)

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
Sorry, the motor mounts look like this!
This is a great site to get prices and pictures of parts for your car! American dollars though..
http://oem.overnightautoparts.com/parts/overnightautoparts/parts.jsp?year=1993&make=MB&model=400-E-001

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
2,332 Posts
JMO! But 10 grand for a 400E sounds to me a bit on the high side! UNLESS it has some very low milage and in top notch shape![;)][;)][;)][;)]

Smokie

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Thats $8000 USD.
What has been done to the engine?
Head gaskette done?
How is the climate control?
For that cash the pump should have been done!
Whats the mileage?
Has the tranny ever been overhauled?

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
sorry to hijack this thread but i have similar problems to the headrest switch... how do i remove it and where do i apply the wd-40/contact cleaner

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
Usually the headrest problem is a broken $16 plastic rack inside the seat. Is there any noise coming from the seat?

·
Registered
2000 E430 1990 300CE
310 Posts
To remove the switch, CAREFULLY pry off the black plastic trim around the door handle. You will find 2 screws holding the swith to the door. Unscrew them, unhook the wires, and that's it. I have found that sometimes the contact points inside the switch need to be sanded to clean them for good contact. To do this, you have to pry apart the switch with a flat screwdriver or knife blade. Inside you will rind ballbearings that move on brass rocker switches. It is these brass switches that get corroded and need to be sanded, resoring clean contact points. It takes a lot of patience to get everything back together, but it can be done.
Or you could just buy a new assembly from MBZ for whatever riddiculous price they charge.

to remove the swit

·
Registered
Unimog 404
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help guys!

So I went to Victoria to test drive a 400e and found a few things that I can not explain. While the car is running I heard a fairly loud sound what to me sounded like an air leak. I have heard bad fuel pumps before and this sounded different. Is this normal? Second is that the car shudders quite a bit under heavy braking. The car doesn't pull but it feels nasty. On a private inspection the guys told me that the rotors were realy rusty and that they experienced some mild vibration but I doubt that they took it on the highway. The only other main concern is that the first shift in the tranny is kinda harsh and each shift up after that is less and less harsh. I know that one of the motor mounts in gone so could that be the cause? I think it may be something like the quick loss of torque on the engine during the shift making the tranny rock and as you go up in gears the effective torque would be less. Lemme know if I am way off =)

Thanks again guys. I am so close to benz number two I can taste it.(leather doesn't taste great)

·
Registered
24 Posts
RE: 400e problems seat rest repair

see this article for power head rest repair
http://interior.articles.*/seats/pwrhdrests/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts