Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1993 Mercedes Benz 400E
About 200k miles.
Well I have been having a continuous problem during the winter of ASR always turning on while i'm driving even though there is no ice or snow.

But during May, I got one which i thought was awkward. But then it seems after that, my engine went from a V8 to a V4. When I drive it doesn't feel like ASR mode, and the ASR light isn't on.

It takes me about 1 minute to get to 60mph. Very very slow acceleration.
Engine shakes the whole car. Took it to the shop, they made me pay 700 dollars to replace the air intake hose, and couple other things. But that didn't fix the problem..

Any ideas fellas? thinking about going to the mercedes dealer or to a european shop.

·
Registered
2013 E350 sedan, 2013 E350 cab, 1993 400E sold,1999 ML320
2,436 Posts
I hate to say it but mine completly died from same type of thing, first hows the engine wiring harness if its not replaced theres 800 dollars. If you done that try the 150 dollars for a set of coils, and 250 dollars for wires. My coil wires were toast. As you see from my profile I have the same car with same mileage.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
don't bother with the dealer..find a shop that's familiar w/ 124's/m119's.

Harness, throttle actuator, caps, rotors, wires, O2, fuel pumps/filter...lots of things can be causing the problem you describe. Best you start by having codes pulled and going from there.

Jonathan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys think it's worth fixing?

I'm not familiar with cars, and don't know how to go about finding a car shop in my area that are familiar with those things.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
You guys think it's worth fixing?

I'm not familiar with cars, and don't know how to go about finding a car shop in my area that are familiar with those things.
that is dependent on so many factors, but based on what's typically out there I'd say no.

You can buy Very nice W124 400E/E420's for 5-7K all day long... I saw a Beautiful 45K mile 95 go for 8 almost a year ago..

Jonathan

·
Registered
1995 E420, 2002 C320 Wagon, 1964 Lincoln Convertible
58 Posts
I had the same problem with my 93 400E about a year ago. I replaced the coils and the problem was solved.

Where are you located? Perhaps someone knows of a good shop to take it to.

I just sunk a bunch of money into my 93 400E. Less than 500 miles later I was involved in an accident, the car helped save my life. To me it was worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay here is an update, the car has been in the shop for about meh 3-4 weeks. They still can't fix it and it's a shop that specializes in German cars (mercedes all over their lot)
I only told them to check the wiring, should i tell them to check the coils?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
You should tell them to fix the problem..:p

What have they gone through thus far???

Jonathan

·
Registered
2013 E350 sedan, 2013 E350 cab, 1993 400E sold,1999 ML320
2,436 Posts
Dont check the coils just replace them. Mine "checked" fine but as soon as replaced I was back up and running.

·
Registered
'92 400CE, '83 500SEC, '93 500E '05 E55AMG
215 Posts
What do the spark supression plates BEHIND the ignition rotor look like. That important part is commonly overlooked upon inspection of the ignition system. If they are cracked, the spark from the rotor will arc onto the timing cover and your car will sputter, shake and have very poor power/acceleration

Just a guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts