Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1992 400E
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 92 400E (250,000 KM) for Ontarios drive clean and it failed horribly and as an added bonus disaster somehow the center of the clutch fan went through the rad and now battery light is on as well . can anyone help stop my suffering with some ideas? First Benz only had for a week , All new to me . car run awesome had whining noise like front wheel bearings maybe was the fan? Thanks

·
Registered
1991 300D 116,000m
730 Posts
Not sure how to stop your suffering, but I know how I could have prevented it.

Do not buy a car until you can prove it passes emissions. Do not drive a car with an unknown whining noise because it could cause more damage. You are lucky it wasn't a timing chain.

A simple pre purchase inspection would have saved you a ton of money and headache.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
So your fan clutch sheared off and took out the radiator? If that is what you meant, check for damage on the alternator. The speed that the FC will shoot out it has a high possibility of other damages. They are heavy....spinning at least 1,000 rpm. Damage is gonna happen.

This is only an example of why all you guys MUST check your fan clutches for play. When the bearing loses its grease, this is what happens sooner or later. You gotta replace the fan clutch bearing bracket!

Too late for "coulda-shoulda-woulda"....Post up the results from the emissions test so we can see where it failed and by how much.

·
Registered
1992 400E
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
results HC ppm limit-52 readig 240 CO% limit-0.29 reading-0.42 NO ppm limit-385 reading-594 Clutch fan still intact but there is an impression of center hub in rad where leak is. thanks

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,755 Posts
Ted,

Sorry about your delima, as there isn't any real good news here. Replacment radiator is going to be about $250. Fan clutch is a killer at about $400+. No telling what else has been damaged or was already in bad shape.

If you are a pretty good DIY guy, you can source these parts and replace them without much trouble. If not, get the car to a shop that acutally knows what they are doing with these cars.

You probably have no idea about the condition of the plugs, caps (2), rotors (2) and wires. These items will most likely need replacing as well as the O2 sensor.

If you use the search function of this forum, you'll find how to build a code reader for under $10 in Radio Shack parts. Run all the codes.

Good Luck,

Jayare

1 - 5 of 5 Posts