Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about the capabilities of different 4x4 vehicles and came to a different conclusion than I have ever heard.

I have owned Jeeps, , a K5 Blazer, and a Ramcharger. The best one out of all those was my Ramcharger. But was it.

When I owned Jeeps they were my only transportation so I didn't want to break them.

The K5 was so jacked up with 44" tires on it so it sucked even on the road "all show no go".

The Ramcharger I bought only to go 4 wheeling and had several other vehicles and was older and had much more money so if I broke it, it was a non issue.

I had a locker in the Ramcharger but so did one of my Jeeps. I took my Ramcharger places that even my friends with H1 Hummers wouldn't go. I realize that most people don't want to mess up their $60000.00 Hummer so I had the advantage. I didn't care if I mashed in the rear quarter panel on a boulder or scraped the fender or rocker panel, or even rolled over so I wold do things that maybe others would be scared to do.

That brings me to our ML. I know myself and others here have gone 4 wheeling all the time and have done some crazy stuff, but so far I don't think anyone really knows what the limits are because we still in the back of our minds don't want to mess them up...

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,384 Posts
I doubt the 163 body was designed for harsh/strenuous off-roading. And since it makes a darn good 4x4 for conventional uses, I'd keep it that way.

Take a Jeep Wrangler for stunt riding. They're designed for that!

·
Registered
ML500, special edition, CLK550..
179 Posts
I have owned alot of different 4x4's: Land Cruisers, LX450's, Full size Ford bronco's, Toyota trucks and even a CRV. Stuff with straight axles, ind. front and straight rears, ind. all around, and the famous twin I-beam Ford..:eek:

And I can't see anything wrong with off-roading a ML. It has the standard flex of a unmodified stock 4X4..(without alot of flex you really can't do hardcore stuff).

Day to day 4x4'ing, it's great...mine is pretty fast for a 4-wheel drive...four wheel ind. suspension.:thumbsup:..

I have had no issues getting around....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts