Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 C-300 Convertible
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had a 4 wheel alignment performed on their CLK? I've got real bad wear on the rear passenger tire. Bad enough to wear through the steel belts on the inside of the tire. This tire has only 32,000 miles on it. All three remaining tires look as if they can go another 20,000 miles.

Was wondering how they do an alignment. Any one have any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 C-300 Convertible
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took it in today and the camber on the right rear is definitely out of specs by a bunch. Since the shop was not an MB shop, they stated they didn't have the proper tools to align it correctly. They didn't charge me for the alignment check. Since the MB dealer is 2 hours away, I called to make an appointment for next Monday. Asked if they needed any special parts as I don't really like having to travel that far for service.

·
Registered
2018 C-300 Convertible
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just back from the dealer and was told that there is no camber adjustment on the rear wheels, just toe, which they said was out of spec. Dealer also indicated that I got a lot of mileage out of the rear tire and suggested that the next time try Michelin in place of the Continentals. He said I'd get a better ride also. Time will tell now.

·
Registered
2018 C-300 Convertible
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Traveler,

Did you receive a printed alignment sheet from the dealer? before align, after?

Can you give me the tire history, if staggered Tire sizes, if rotated?

Has the car been lowered?

Do you have the tread depths of all 4 old tires taken?

Did you replace the tires before alignment check?

To clarify, indie said RR camber bad, Dealer said RR Toe in bad?
Yes, received a print out.

Staggered tire sizes and can not rotate.

Car has not been lowered.

Don't have the tread measurements, however the fronts are original as the rears were. Fronts have not been changed.

Indie showed bad camber. Dealer said rear camber is fixed and that it was a toe in problem.

Rear tires were replace prior to alignment. Rear tire failure while on the interstate and would not drive the 400 miles to home on the "doughnut" spare.

·
Registered
2018 C-300 Convertible
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kustom1911

Not sure on how to post images of the printouts. Have them in .PDF and .JPG format.

Stand corrected on tires. They are non-directional with "outside" on all 4 tires.

I purchased this car in Sept. 2013 with 21,000 miles on it and a clean car fax. Tire failure happened about 31,000 miles. Car is not driven hard. I'm easy on all my cars, even the 'vettes I've owned.

I can't believe chassis components would be weak or worn out at this low of mileage.

The MB dealer said it was a toe in problem and they corrected it and I was good as new. I have my doubts as they could not explain the printout so that I could understand it. Would love another opinion on both printouts.

·
Registered
2018 C-300 Convertible
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Kustom1911

Thanks for the great advice. I appreciate the time you have taken to look over my info and suggest a path for me to take. This forum is unlike others I belong to in that there is solid information given.

My duty is now clear. Do you have any preference, based upon your knowledge, which supplier would be the best to deal with concerning quality and price for these parts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.