Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1984 209D. my van has same 4-sp tranny as early 240D. it broke recently and i was able to find a used 240 transmission, but now what to do with the original broken transmission. i think about doing a rebuild, and if i did, do any of you know a source for a rebuild kit? the mb dealer isn't very encouraging, as parts are only sold separately (and expensive). what new parts will i want to put into this? gaskets and seals, of course, bearings? syncros?

thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
1983 240D, 1974 240D
501 Posts
depends on how its broken on whether or not its worth repairing. You can get all the individual parts from the classic center. If you broke a shaft or something, the price of a component like that would be worth two used identical trannys, so it really depends on what damage the transmission really has.

Id download the exploded view and parts list from the online EPC, disassemble the transmission, identify whats broken and record the part numbers you need, plus what you want to replace like bearings. If the bearings are good, you might as well leave them, but they might be worn down. Depends on the design of the transmission. You can also inspect all the synchro clutches for damage or wear and possibly replace those as well, but as you say, that process would get expensive fast.

Then you can just email Tom Hanson at the classic center a parts list and get a quote on what you are looking at for price. They also sell rebuild kits, which usually consist just of paper gaskets and O-rings. Bearings and synchro clutches do not count as rebuild parts.

He will give you a discount for an MBCA membership, and the classic center is easier and cheaper to deal with than the stealer, which would be doing the same thing, just charging you a premium to do it with less competence. Might as well skip over them and deal directly with the place you can get the parts.

·
Premium Member
99 SLK230 Kompressor, 5 Speed Manual
1,117 Posts
dropnosky is right on the money here.

USUALLY, a manual transmission only needs brass and maybe a few bearings. If it needs a shaft or a few gears it quickly becomes Uneconomical to repair. For this reason, if you have somewhere to keep it, at some point in the future it might come in handy as a parts donor for the one that's currently in your vehicle.

My $0.02,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies. the broken part in my transmission is one of 2 shift assemblies that is composed of an aluminum ring that interfaces with the fork shaped part. the gear or splined ring inside the aluminum ring shattered. it's a $140 part, bearings are $40-50 each, syncros... - so it all adds up. i'm not sure if the bearings need changed, but i would definately want to put in new syncros. i think i'll take larry's advice and just throw it up on a shelf and hope that when the other transmission fails it won't be the same part.

thanks for the info about the epc and classic center, dropnoski. i wish there were support for my vehicle like that. the dealer did print out part diagrams for my transmission, so i don't need that for this current project, but i'm thinking about the other projects and how i'm looking for a supply line for parts for my rare old van. does anyone know where i could get a hold of parts diagrams for my vehicle?

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
4 speeds are not hard to find used.

·
Premium Member
99 SLK230 Kompressor, 5 Speed Manual
1,117 Posts
Winmut is right. I have an early and a late Euro 240D manual. One of them is for sure a parts car and the other one will probably end up as one. Transmissions are in great shape in both.

·
Registered
84 300TD, 2004 E320 wagon, 2006 CLS55,
1,051 Posts
If anyone wants a 4 speed manual for 617-912 (yes the 5 cylinder; a euro with the additional flex-disc like balance) with the matching drive shaft let me know. I have on in my garage for cheap. Complete except for the flywheel. drop me a email:
[email protected]
I'm in south florida and prefer to not ship.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts