Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'88 560SL, 2000 SL500
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6 months ago I purchased a 2000 Sl500 w/ Sport Package form a dealer. It is a Starmark vehicle with 31,000 miles. I plan to bring these three items to the attention of the dealer, but would like to be armed with some facts from the PROS before I do.

1) About every ten times I get in the car, I will try to use the CD Changer, and I will get the message "NO Cartridge". If I turn the car off and back on, It will work. Is this a common problem?

2) The manual states that there is an oil change indicator accessed by pushing one of the buttons near the speedometer, and it is supposed to diagnose miles before oil change. This isn't the service miles, but oil. With the book next to me, this doesn't appear to work.

3) Shortly after I got the car, using the pedal quite hard on an on ramp, it seemed to not shift from third to fourth and although still in gear, acted as if it was in neutral. It hasn't done this since, but scares me for when it isn't under warranty.

4) With the sport package came the 5 point rims. They are nice and all, but the break dust that ruins the look within 1 day of a carwash or detailing is driving me insane. Is there a certain type of brake pad that will lessen the dust?

Any other thing I should expect?

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
1. Your car uses fiber-optic CD to help reduce shock but after a while, it's starting to go bad anyway. This is the early sign that the CD changer needs to be replaced. Even with that, it could last few more years.

2. Manual suggests that engine oil should be changed the same time as schedule services which is 10 to 12 thousand miles (using that same button). I personally think it's too long. I do oil changes every 2500 miles. It's your call.

3. If the car detects the roll-over, it will shut down the transmission and will not "engage" the gears until your speed is falling below 20 mph. Try to make sharp turns and it will happen. This is normal (and quite a good feature, IMO).

4. Use wet towels and clean it everyday. That's what I do. R129 has the history of brake making noise. While it is working fine, don't change your pads. I have spent so much money into the rotors/pads and still couldn't get the "squeak" away.

Welcome to the forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts