Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a 1991 300TE 4 Matic with very low mileage now has 15,000. The light came on last week and I looked in the owners manual and followed the advice and mover the underhood valve to the two wheel drive position. Any ideas on what caused the light to come on?? Car is running fine otherwise.
I have several issues which need fixing. The notorious heater vent/defroster stuff I have seen here, my radio quit, etc. Would appreciate help before I head to the agency.
Thanks
Bob S

·
Registered
MB300TE 4Matic
33 Posts
Hi Bob,
Over the last couple of years I've had more than my fair share of 4matic problems but managed to sort most of it out - a lot of info from the guys on this forum helped tremendously.
Firstly the light coming on is hopefully just due to speed sensors playing up. To reset the fault memory just disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes. I don't recommend turning the valve to the test position for too long as you also loose your self levelling suspension.
Take the car for a drive and see what happens. Sometimes this cures the problem for a long time. If the light comes on again you can test it as follows:

The little connector box with a plastic lid in front of battery - connect 2 wires (long enough to reach to the driver's seat)to No 1 and No5. Start the engine and while it is running touch the ends of the wires together for max 2 seconds and watch the 4matic light. It will start blinking. Count the number of blinks and note it down. This is your trouble code. 1 blink means 4matic ok and would (with the 4matic light still on) probably indicate a fault in the hydraulic system instead. Otherwise it goes up to 11 or so from memory.
Let me know how it goes. Email me if you need the codes: [email protected]
Good luck
Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts