Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a new e 350 4 matic with all season 17 in continentals. We had an Audi A6 Quattro that was great. I live in S.W. Pa, lots of hills, steep driveway, with one or two big snows mixed in every year. Will the 4 matic be ok in the snow or should I get winter tires right from the getgo? Did any of you have both cars? If so how do they compare? Thanks for any replies.:)

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
One word describes it in my opinion: "EXCELLENT" Have had 3 E's with it and 4 ML's with it since 1998. Never used anything but OEM tires, never been stuck and never had a concern. Our weather is similar to yours and our driveway, at least the first 100 yards is quite steep. Had an Audi many years ago and it ranks amongst the worst automotive experiences I have ever had, surpassed only by a 1993 Cadillac STS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I would tell peolple we have an Audi they would give me a funny face then a story of a freind that owned one and had a bad experience. I have to say we must have had the only good one. It only needed an alternator and window motor in 10 yrs of use and it went like a tank in snow. That being said if the 4 matic goes as good or better Ill be very happy. The e 350 feels so much more "solid" than the audi ever did. Im trying to kill my excursion.. it wont die... so I can get a GL 450 to haul the kids around. GOTTA love a Benz!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have a new e 350 4 matic with all season 17 in continentals. We had an Audi A6 Quattro that was great. I live in S.W. Pa, lots of hills, steep driveway, with one or two big snows mixed in every year. Will the 4 matic be ok in the snow or should I get winter tires right from the getgo? Did any of you have both cars? If so how do they compare? Thanks for any replies.:)

Hey...where in PA? Grew up in Bradford. I always go with winter tires. Not for traction up the hill as much as stopping. AWD does nothing for that!

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
Maybe a belt and suspenders approach, but in Utah I have a set of spare wheels with snows for my 4matic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Alesnatt. I was kinda thinking getting a wheel and tire pkg. might be a safe bet. Oh and Im from Westmoreland County . Is Tire Rack a decent place to get such a package? My Benze dealer might be abit pricey. Any wheel and tire pkgs you guys like?

·
Registered
2009 GL450
11 Posts
Snow tires E350 4Matic

A little late to the table with this response, but I have been "testing" my decision to put a separate wheel and snow tire package on my '11 E3504M and given the winter we've been having....best decision I ever made. 17" moda EB1's with Dunlop Sport 3D winter tires from the Tire Rack...they are absolutely stellar in the snow...currently my entire "steep" driveway is a sheet of ice (Northeast is getting a wicked ice storm). Drove up and down no issues or slippage at all...wearing my wwinter boots I have a difficult time walking up the driveway and can "ski" in my boots down the entire driveway - so it is absolutely all ice - tires have great bite and traction..

·
Registered
'11 350 4matic-AMG Wheels-Tint-Debadge-Clear Side Markers-Spoiler-HID's-VIM-Sprint Boost
56 Posts
My 4matic with stock all-seasons has been great this winter. Originally I was going to buy snow tires and new rims and rotate them every winter myself. Then, I decided I was going to wait and see how the stock ones handled before buying the 2nd set. After 3-4 snows and 1 ice storm, I think I will end up sticking with the original set. I have been very impressed with the 4matic. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
1,327 Posts
We had the worst snow and ice storm in Atlanta ealier this year. I am more than impressed with the 4matic! I have 18 inch rims with performance yokohama performance tires on and it handled everything perfect. I was driving up and down hills with the road being a sheet of ice and and the traction control barely came on, only during the manual shifts from second to first going downhill. I also drove the car last year in February in DC during a big snow storm, probaly close to 2 feet of snow and everything was perfect.
That week I had the most fun since owning this car.

·
Registered
ML320, ML500, S550V4, ML550
423 Posts
4Matic on Michelin Cross Terrains (M&S) has been great for me on the MLs. I haven't tried snow on the S Class yet, but happy to hear good reports. I have 18" S600 rims with Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 tires waiting.

This photoshoot worked out well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 E350
24 Posts
I moved from an A6Q to E350W4 sedan only two months ago, and it has been a real-snow winter in Massachusetts this year. In both cases, I had stock wheels and all-season tires. In short, the Audi felt more sure-footed, but the 4matic is fine.

Other differences in the cars make a bigger difference to me so far ... wish I had the Bose sound system in my Audi back!

KC
2011 E350

1 - 12 of 12 Posts