Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1972 280 se 4.5
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody know how i can improve air/fuel mixture? im getting about 3 miles per gallon, and its killing my wallet!!

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz E500
668 Posts
You might want...

Add a can of "Seafoam" to 1/2 tank of gas and then run the car until the reserve light comes on, then refill as normal. You can find it at Kragen/Shucks, or AutoZone, etc.

Seafoam has quite a following over on the W210 forum and elsewhere. It will help get the "crud" out of the injectors and intake system.

Good luck,

JR

·
Registered
1998 SL500, 1959 220S, 1970 280SL
778 Posts
These engines have air temp and coolant temp sensors. If the brain doesn't get the right resistance from these, it can go pig-rich.

·
Registered
1972 280 se 4.5
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my manual says to check the pressure sensor and replace if needed. also pressure regulator and adjust or replace?? are these issues anyone has incurred?

·
Registered
749 Posts
The "pressure sensor' is that device on the firewall that is connected with a hose to the engine and has a plug connecting to the loom. Get a second hand one from somewhere and just swap it over to make sure it's OK. it uses engine vacuum to determine the engines fuel requirement so that hose must also be OK.
But you cannot just guess your way through a Djet by swapping stuff over. there is a right way and wrong way to fix injection .
Start by tuning the ignition so it is PERFECT .
Replace the fuel filter with a new one. And any of the rubber hoses by the tank.
then do a pressure test on the engine. Average pressure at the cold start valve is 28PSI. More than that and the pressure regulator(s) has failed or the return line to the tank and in the tank has become blocked.
Theres lots more to check but that should get you on the way.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The seafoam website also talks about putting it straight into the crank case and PCV....anyone try that? I'm tempted to give it a shot from what I've read on other forums.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts