Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Proud owner of an Blue-Black (Charcol Gray) '91 420SEL
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my head removal for other things I noticed that three of my lifters were stuck down.
I tapped on two of them and they released but the 3rd on the other head is still down after three weeks of no pressure on it and I tapped it a little but it did not pop up.
My heads were rebuild by a company that uses OEM parts before I purchased the car.
The heads have genuine M.B. guides, lifters, rockers, and valves.
I don't have any idea if the lifters were installed new or they were continued in service from 0 miles or a previous repair.
1991 4.2 US version 138,000 miles on the engine and about 3 to 5,000 on heads since installation but the car sat for 5 years in inside storage without running.
Can these lifters be cleaned or repaired?
If not should I just replace the three lifters and keep going?
They look new by appearance and there seem to be no wear.
Even from AutohauseAZ the "INA" OEM lifters are $27 each so it would be almost $450 to replace all of them.
I don't have the special tool as referenced in the manual for checking them either.
If I purchased some or all new lifters are they marked by what shim they need or will this need to be determined upon installation?
In reading the manual it seems that there is no way of getting around having this special tool per the engine manual around 05.7-213/3 & 213/4.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
jimm1009

·
Registered
several
23 Posts
I always fill up a container with oil and submerge them for awhile to get all the air out however I wouldn't like the ones that don't come back up. I believe that if you have to question it you should probably replace it.

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,461 Posts
420SEL lifters are the same part as the 560SE(whatever) lifters. Get some more from the local salvage yard and replace them. I have four 420SEL lifters now in my 560SEL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts