Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife is a safety nut, and I'm the opposite. I think I finally got my wife on board with the concept that it will be easier to make sure kids are buckled into a rear facing third row seat in the rare occasion that she's carrying more than just our two kids (currently 2 and 4 years old). I finally got her to the MB dealer to test drive a few, and the dealer said something to the effect of, "I wouldn't put my kids back there." He also said that the rear seat has a TOTAL max weight of 120 lbs (not 120 lb / passenger). My wife is thinking that 120lbs isn't very much, and would likely be exceeded with two young kids. So the practicality of the w211 for our family is on the line.

This all started with her wanting a 7 passenger vehicle. She hates minivans, and of course I'd like something a bit sportier than an SUV. We've already got a 2006 Honda Ridgeline that's not going anywhere before it's wheels fall off. So a nice luxury wagon seems like the ideal car for our situation. We won't have to drive a pickup truck to our evening events. I'd like that, and my wife would appreciate the luxury features. I've narrowed my search to:
- 2004+ (ideally 2005+)
- 3rd row seats (many 2004's don't have them, often "Sport" or AMG)
- 4Matic
- e500 or e350
- Power Liftgate
- Sunroof and heated seats are expected
- Wood steering wheel will probably be added if not there
- Any other feature is a very nice bonus: Nav, Heated Steering, Cooled Seats, Message Seats

I've read everything I could find both on this forum, and on the web in general. I can't find anything definitive. Some pertinent posts are:
- http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211-e-class/1474062-e350-wagon.html
- http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/192619-safety-rear-facing-seat.html
- http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211-e-class/405031-e-wagon-question.html

Unfortunately none of the above seem to answer these questions:

1) What is the OVERALL SEAT MAX WEIGHT?

2) Is there an individual weight limit for the 3rd row seats?

3) Is the only individual occupant restriction the height of 5'4" (no weight limit as asked in #2)?

4) Does MB recommend NOT using a child seat with a 5-point harness in these seats?

5) Are there any known toddler-sized 5-point harness seats that are OK for rear-facing installation?

6) Does MB recommend NOT using a booster seat in which the seat-belt is used to restrain the child

7) Is there a MINIMUM HEIGHT to sit in the 3rd row seats without any booster?

I know there are a lot of questions here, but it seems that most (if not all) of them have never been answered in the history of the internet.

:surrender:

I'd read the manual if I already owned one. Are any of the questions above addressed in the manual?

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^^ THANK YOU! It's SO NICE to be able to read this before buying the car!

The manual doesn't answer most of the questions above explicitly, but it does provide the following text, showing me that I was wrong about the over 5' height. Here is the pertinent text from the manual:

"The folding bench seat in the cargo
compartment is approved only for persons
up to a height of 4.6 ft (1.40 m)
and a maximum weight of 110 lbs
(50 kg).
The twin roller blind must be installed
when the folding bench seat is in use."

That certainly doesn't make it clear whether you could put two 55lb kids in there or two 110 lb kids in there. Sounds like a call to MB Tech support. I guess I'll look up that number when i get a chance.

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure why I hadn't thought if this before. I'm 5'10", and decided to try to sit in those seats back there. My head was on the ceiling with my neck at a 45% angle. Now I understand why there's a height limit, and it's only 4.6 feet. Anyone taller might hit their head on the ceiling in an accident, maybe severely damaging their neck, spine or worse, spinal chord. I understand now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts