Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
M20
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Im getting PMs regarding the LED lamp so I posted more pics for comparison (see ^)

The LED 3rd brake lamp is not aftermarket but an original MB part from the W202 chassis.

I received another 3pcs last month so now I have 2 left (beige and black). But with Sinned420's info, the color doesnt matter. This was how I was able to transplant the LED light assy and use my stock housing

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes-Benz S420 (W140), 1997 BMW 740iL (E38), 2011 C300 Luxury (W204)
1,314 Posts
Very simple upgrade. I recommend it if you are tired of the 3rd brake light going out due to bad contact. I think the original bulb design was poorly designed. The socket was loose and the plastic melts. With the LED you don't have to worry about that and it is brighter than the bulb. The only thing may be the bulb out error, I don't remember if mine throws one or not (my cluster bulb for that error is burnt).

Like z168 said, they're easy to swap out.

·
Registered
1994 Benz S320 SWB / 1986 Porsche 911 Targa / 1998 Benz CL 500
1,290 Posts
I dont have a third brake light ( 1994 ) and I was wondering if I can apply one to my car, how hard is it, do I have to remove a lot of parts for the wiring?

Thanks.

·
Registered
99CL600,98CL600 Swiss import,R230 SL666, EURO1985 280 CE & XR600R Desert killer
915 Posts
Nice .I would like to know the part # for that stop LED light if is OEM and if you dont,know maybe you can tell me year when they started doing LEDS on W202.Because i want to get the same upgrade ,so for all INFO thanks a lot.

·
M20
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Nice .I would like to know the part # for that stop LED light if is OEM and if you dont,know maybe you can tell me year when they started doing LEDS on W202.Because i want to get the same upgrade ,so for all INFO thanks a lot.
The C36 and C43 have em. I have one if youre interested:thumbsup:

·
M20
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I dont have a third brake light ( 1994 ) and I was wondering if I can apply one to my car, how hard is it, do I have to remove a lot of parts for the wiring?

Thanks.
Hard part is to find a suitable mounting to hold it in place

Harder part is to snake a line throught the rear deck to tail lamps to power it up

·
Registered
99CL600,98CL600 Swiss import,R230 SL666, EURO1985 280 CE & XR600R Desert killer
915 Posts
how much and what color you have cuz mine interior is 2 tone dark and light grey 518code

·
Registered
1994 Benz S320 SWB / 1986 Porsche 911 Targa / 1998 Benz CL 500
1,290 Posts
Hard part is to find a suitable mounting to hold it in place

Harder part is to snake a line throught the rear deck to tail lamps to power it up
Sounds like a "long story" with a lot of labor, I guess I will have to skip it then, Thank You for the information.

·
M20
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I still have a beige and black unit. And I understand you have a gray interior. However its probably better to use your current lamp housing. Simply pull out the LED assembly and transplant it into your existing housing. They swap out perfectly. Nothing to break, nothing to modify.

Couple of things to know:
1. the LED unit has different socket to our harness. Good news is the car's harness is female. All you have to do is strip the lamp's wiring ends and insert it into the female socket. not exactly concours standard but they work

2. on the 93 year model it doesnt trigger the bulb out warning but it did on my 95 (and probably going forward). I havent exactly decided where to put the additional resistor for it because the resistors tend to get really hot

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,533 Posts

Thanks.
Dont tell me you stop installing 1 double wired wire on the car not to have a nice 3rd brake light back there ,there are two ways to do it , 1 easy & 1 a bit more complicated way, 1st ,connect a wire two were the brake pedal is ,there you find wires for the stop function, feed the wire trough the bottom of the doors and up all the way to the edge of the rear window ,install you new led brake light of choice .
The other way is going through the Trunk (Boot) ,behind the AMP there is a big hole to feed a lot of wires trough ,it is best spotted placing a light on the inside of the car then look through the trunk ,there it is ,oops .Try to do something that our member "The Andrew" did ,that looks nice & clean and best of all you can find a led light like that everywhere .
Remember when i done this what you see in this link below ,well i'm at it again with a flashing/flasher modification this time ,Bugatti veyron style .
Ciao :thumbsup:
Here is the Link ;
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1492700-bentley-arnage-brake-lightstrip-w140.html

·
Registered
92 W140 300SD 97 VW Jetta TDI 89 VW Fox diesel
996 Posts
Then this would be the wrong thread to post that question:D

But since were here, no its not required to have it, but most drivers are used to seeing it...
I think it's federal law requiring the 3rd brake light, since 1986 MY cars.

Having said that, seeing as how police don't enforce burned out lamps in my city I fail to see any consequences from removing the light although it will leave a mark on the hat shelf where the mounting bracket was installed.

One day I was behind a Ford Escape and the only working brake light on that vehicle was the 3rd brake light....

·
Registered
2004 E55
623 Posts
I still have a beige and black unit. And I understand you have a gray interior. However its probably better to use your current lamp housing. Simply pull out the LED assembly and transplant it into your existing housing. They swap out perfectly. Nothing to break, nothing to modify.

Couple of things to know:
1. the LED unit has different socket to our harness. Good news is the car's harness is female. All you have to do is strip the lamp's wiring ends and insert it into the female socket. not exactly concours standard but they work

2. on the 93 year model it doesnt trigger the bulb out warning but it did on my 95 (and probably going forward). I havent exactly decided where to put the additional resistor for it because the resistors tend to get really hot
PM sent, ready to send payment.

·
Registered
2004 E55
623 Posts
I just wanted to thank z168 for getting me the led 3rd brake light, I installed it today and it looks really good except that it gives the error bulb, anyway to get around that? Here are some pictures....

Attachments

·
Registered
S500v 4Matic 2003 - S600 V12 1998 (Sold) - E320 4Matic 1999 - E430 4matic 2001 - CLK320 conv 2004
605 Posts
I'd personally keep it, not for legal reasons, but for safety one ;)
Plus, I always loved the way an A8 will make your eyes bleed at a red light because of its tail/3rd light.. gives the impression of a good worthy car :)

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
want to bring back this thread because i am going install mine some time this week quick question z168 what type of connector would i need? i just wired up the resistor :) and no errors.

·
M20
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
want to bring back this thread because i am going install mine some time this week quick question z168 what type of connector would i need? i just wired up the resistor :) and no errors.
While it does come with its own matching male and female plugs, its just 2 wires so its simple.

Let me know how you did the resistors. Mine are throwing off codes at the moment

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
i will post up the pics. my whole trunk is a mess right now since everything is taken apart. i have no bulbs on the third brake light but i put in a resistor and i have no errors :) this one might literally piss you off because alot of the interior clips break, and it requires you to tap the wires i will post up pics or a video. :)

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
well now call me lucky but mine didn't set off a check lamps warning and all 15 leds work :) thank you z168 :) i will take some pics at night. turns out i disassembled my whole trunk for no reason :( today i was feeling a little better(fever was at 37.5 Celsius) so i put everything back in to its spot :) i also noticed one thing the the old bulb in the 3rd brake light was 6watts not 21w like most peoples maybe that is why it didn't need resistors

**i found out how the error light turns on :) when your starting the car dont push the brake pedal. when i push the brake and then start the car the light turns on and stays on but if i don't push the pedal and crank it i don't get the error(i just drove 15miles in traffic and the light didn't turn on once)

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Here are some night shoots. :) they brighter then the pics. also my windows have 0% limo tint(darkest you can get) my factory halogens hardly even showed these ones are bright and noticeable. also these show in sunlight while my halogens didn't

Attachments

21 - 40 of 51 Posts