Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
I can't recall what it said, bbut I remember seeing it in the owner's manual for my '99.

Len

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,468 Posts
I think the manual says it's LED's for the center brake light and not user replaceable.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hey, Kobus. He's got the pre-facelift big boxy thing. There's another thread that I think JR posted both pics back to back.

Someplace recently I just saw the diagram, but if I remember correctly (and please don't quote me) the bulbs are accessed from underneath, top of the trunk. Check in there if you don't have the manual handy.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
No

one caught the salient issue:D
Did they start making 420's again in 2000?
If so there are going to be a lot of happy 1997 orphan owners,when they find out they have a sister:thumbsup:
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one caught the salient issue:D
Did they start making 420's again in 2000?
If so there are going to be a lot of happy 1997 orphan owners,when they find out they have a sister:thumbsup:
ohlord:bowdown:
I meant 2000 E430. Not mine but A car that my co-worker owns. :)

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the manual says it's LED's for the center brake light and not user replaceable.
Hi Kobus,

So what you are telling me is that the rear center brakelight is LED and there is no bulb that can be replaced? So If the center brakelight is out then what could it be?

1995 MERCEDES-BENZ SL500

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
KYU500SL said:
I meant 2000 E430. Not mine but A car that my co-worker owns.

So what you are telling me is that the rear center brakelight is LED and there is no bulb that can be replaced? So If the center brakelight is out then what could it be?

Well that should be a post-facelift, so it's the LED unit; confirm by the pictures below (thanks to E-Klasse). If it is the LED CHMSL then this is a very rare issue as it would be nearly impossible for all of the LED bulbs in the CHMSL to burn out simultaneously, so if it is not illuminating it is time to start troubleshooting.

You can locate the wires to the CHMSL and disconnect and feed 12V to the light which will confirm that it is working, may as well check the other side of the connector with someone stepping on the brake to see if you get 12V feed (it might just be a disconnected/dirty/corroded connector). From there check fuses (I don't know which one, there are three sets of them (under the rear seat, left side of dash and under hood). If still no joy you'll have to start tracing the wiring looking for damage, corrosion, etc. If you're not up to all of that find a good indie, but only you know how much time and effort you're willing to expend before going that route.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

Here is the pre-facelift version:

And the post-facelift LED version:

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,468 Posts
Hi Kobus,

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I think Greg has said it all, except that I would start with the fuses - but then I'm a lazy guy. :D
I think we've all said it all in this thread! :D

There are three things I really don't like doing on vehicles: exhaust work, suspension work (both of those because they're under the car, usually hard, hot work and I remember my H.S. auto teacher telling us to be sure to wear eye protection and keep our mouths shut when under the car because just think of all the junk you run over on the road, and it's all stuck on the bottom there one way or another, he specifically mentioned roadkill, not even what you see, but the stuff that's already mashed on the road as well...yuck) and third, chasing electrical gremlins.

·
Registered
1998 E430 V8 , 1981 240D DIESEL
195 Posts
can someone please help me. i have a 98 e430 and i am retrofitting the led center brake light. i have purchased the entire rear deck. i am trying to wire the 3rd brake light but i am not having any luck. my old brake light had a two pin connector and so does my new led brake light. the only difference is the led conector is smaller than the older version. i tried to tap into the existing wires but no luck again. the color of the wires for the center brake light are: brown (which i assumes is the ground), and black/yeloow (which i assume is the power). can someone please assist me with this installion because i am not having any luck and i keep blowing fuses? please provide pictures if you can. thanks

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Hi, do you know the polarity of the wires? Do you have a voltmeter to check? What I normally do (I have not done it for the third tail light, but I did it on the rear fog light as I thought single side is not nice enough, hence now I have fog lamp on both sides :D) is to parallel the connection, do direct wire connection, no need to solder, just make it secure and tape it properly. Then you can ignore the connector, which can still be used in the future. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
What is the spec of your LED light? Maybe it is drawing too much current from the circuit. What is the original fuse ampare?

·
Registered
195 Posts
i am not sure what is the spec of the led light. the original fuse is 15 amps. the led light is from a 99 e320 and my car is a 98 e430 if that helps.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I will check my fuse and then get back to you. May I ask do you change it just to do a manual facelift, or because the old third brake light has already gone? Because I am worrying about something wrong in your wiring even before you replace the brake light.

·
Registered
03 E320 4M Wagon & 97 E320
3,926 Posts
Hi, young:

I assume you are replacing the whole assembly, not just the bulb, right?

If yes, did you check out the LED assembly before connecting it to your car? Is there a short (you can measure with an Ohm meter)? Would a 12 V battery power it?

·
Registered
195 Posts
well i have a mercedes power rear sunshade i am trying to retrofit. so i have to purchase the entire rear shelf assembly and the rear shelf i bought has the newer led 3rd brake light. the original brake light (small square) was working fine when i removed it. how would i test the shade with a 12 v battery? thanks

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
well i have a mercedes power rear sunshade i am trying to retrofit. so i have to purchase the entire rear shelf assembly and the rear shelf i bought has the newer led 3rd brake light. the original brake light (small square) was working fine when i removed it. how would i test the shade with a 12 v battery? thanks
Where do you plan to put your power shade button? For mine it is located at the shifter module console. The shade goes up or down in increments according to how long I press the button, or it won't go all the way up/down by pressing the button once.

My fuse is also 15A over there, it should work for you. One test is to put your OLD brake lamp on and see if the fuse blows, if it does, that means there is short circuit somewhere else, not related to the LED.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts