Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I recently 3d printed a replacement glovebox latch for my new to me W220 S600. The previous owner thought it was a good idea to use mighty putty to seal it permanently shut. I'm sure Billy Mays would be ashamed.

After using a trim tool to break away the putty and removing the glovebox, I started out by removing the latch from the glovebox and drilling out the brass rivet holding the assembly together. The rotating latch was the only broken part. It is constructed out of a cheap plastic and precision isn't too important, so it is a perfect candidate for a quick weeknight print. I took a picture of the latch and loaded it into Solidworks. I measured the center hole to be exactly 8mm. I created a sketch of the latch outline and entered the 8mm center dimension. After that was entered, I could fix the position of all the other sketch elements. I extruded the sketch and added a feature for the spring to rest against. I exported this file to an STL and got to work printing.

I fired up Ultimaker’s Cura software and sliced it using whatever settings I had the last time I used my printer. The speed and temperatures were all wrong when I printed this part, but it is so low precision that it doesn’t really matter. I drilled out the center hole with a non-metric drill bit and filed away the out of spec edges caused by the low effort print. The PLA I used will probably fail on a hot day, but you can always use ABS instead.

This was intended to be a fun money saving project, not an end all be all commercial solution. I use the glovebox twice a day now for the aux cable. I’ll report back when, or if, it breaks.

If anyone is dying to get their hands on this fix and doesn’t have a printer, send me a PM. I’ll throw one in an envelope for you.

Here are some videos of it working:

Link to the STL:

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,808 Posts
That is awesome and your offer is more than generous . I have a cl500 with broken latch which I assume is the same part

·
Registered
2007 W164 ML320CDI Sport, 2007 W221 S600L & 2002 W220 S280
116 Posts
Excellent work, these little 3D printers are great. Been considering a PRUSA one for myself but not sure I'd actually use it enough to justify it. I shoudl down load the software and play with soem designs first I suppose and maybe get a 3rd party to print.

As a slight deviation, maybe some of you might be able to help.
I've been looking for a cad file for the V12 and Biturbo emblems but haven't had any joy. The V12 is missing from the engine cover so I was going to get a metal one laser cut and polished as its seems MB don't sell them. Then I thought it would be nice to add the Biturbo bit also to it. Make it like a plaque, blind tap and secure from underneath. Don't know if printer material would handle the heat.

I've searched some libraries but no joy. Lots of AMG files and MB Stars but no V12 or Biturbo.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I can't find any for the engine cover. There's any amount of them for the car exterior but the one on the engine seems impossible. There are a few threads on various MB forums where the only option appears to be a new cover.

Have you a link? Here's what it should look like and what mine looks like.

Older but not any wiser!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you do the same for a w168? Handle works, it's just the clip doesn't go back up when you want to close it.

Wish I knew my way around a 3d printer... What printer do you use? How do you know what shape and stuff to make it? Just careful measuring or are you using a 3d scanner or anything?

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 S500
2,549 Posts
Here in Georgia (USA), the public libraries in the more urban areas often have small 3-D printers available for library member exploration and usage. All that you have to pay is the cost of materials...

I suspect that other areas have similar set-ups.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here in Georgia (USA), the public libraries in the more urban areas often have small 3-D printers available for library member exploration and usage. All that you have to pay is the cost of materials...

I suspect that other areas have similar set-ups.
Our libraries aren't so cool crikey. Wish they were though

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry I've been away for a while guys. I'm glad we have a cool discussion going on here. Feel free to request 3D prints of plastic parts you're aware of. I love the idea of extending the useful life of older cars.

Can you do the same for a w168? Handle works, it's just the clip doesn't go back up when you want to close it.

Wish I knew my way around a 3d printer... What printer do you use? How do you know what shape and stuff to make it? Just careful measuring or are you using a 3d scanner or anything?

If you can get me a head on picture of the broken part and a napkin drawing of what it should look like I can make it. I just need one good measurement from the original part.

I am using an Anycubic i3 mega S, although any printer could have done a print like this. It should have the capability to do an ABS print, which should hold up better, but I don't have any ABS at the moment.

The intended shape of the latch was sort of obvious. I measured the space available in the housing of the latch with calipers and used that to set my dimensions for the missing piece. I could have used a ruler instead. 3D Printing Nerd on youtube is a great resource if you want to get into this kind of stuff.

I wish I had a 3d scanner. Its a couple thousand I just can't justify ATM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I can't find any for the engine cover. There's any amount of them for the car exterior but the one on the engine seems impossible. There are a few threads on various MB forums where the only option appears to be a new cover.

Have you a link? Here's what it should look like and what mine looks like.

Older but not any wiser!
I actually worked with a friend to try making a w202 hood cover star with posts to fit properly. I'm not sure 3D printing would not give you the kind of quality you'd want for this application. Our end goal was to have someone start casting these or get a company to make a few metal 3D printed parts. I can try to reboot that project and sand/paint the print to see how it goes. You're right about heat. I don't know if ABS will hold up to it, PLA certainly won't. I'll stick a thermocouple under there and see if it gets over 100c on a hot motor.

In the meantime I'll see what I can do about V12 or biturbo cad. That shouldn't be too difficult.

·
Registered
116 Posts
In the meantime I'll see what I can do about V12 or biturbo cad. That shouldn't be too difficult.
Don't go to any trouble. It's not that important, just thought I'd ask as someone may have stumbled accross a file on the various 3D forums and libraries.

Older but not any wiser!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts