Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm new to the forum and mercedes. most of my old motor collection is allis chalmers tractors, but in the last few months i've added 2 mercedes -an 85 380sl and an 89 190e 2.6. My question is on my 380sl. when i start it, i cannot give it any gas. if i do it stalls. engine must run at low idle for a few minutes and warm up before i can give it gas and increase rpm. even when warm, it still runs very rough and is basically un drivable. so far i've replaced the idle control valve and the warm up regulator with no luck. all vacuum lines seem to be connected. what am i missing? temperature switch/valve somewhere, or something comletely different? would appreciate any ideas. thanks

·
Registered
347 Posts
sounds way rich, make sure the air temp sensor is pluged in(not sure where it is on a 380) and under the dash there will be the ECU for the engine, the ECU is a metal box about 30x20x5cm and in one corner it will have a little screw, give the screw a 1/4 turn in either direction(cant remember which is lean/rich) and that should help if its rich.

Another thing is could be is a failed MAP(Manifold pressure sensor) like what happened on my car, presented the same problems and causes the engine to run rich. But then again the 380 might be a totally different beast to my '74 450, but i think there about the same. Good luck

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
See that the air sensor plate moves freely. Then check fuel pressure for correct numbers at the fuel dist. Timing could cause this too. All the same stuff that your tractors need to run right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, but the tractors are so much simpler! updraft carbs, no fuel pump; magneto ignition; and i know what everything is! When i open the hood of the 380 i'm not sure what much of the stuff is.. i should add to my problem description - the car is more difficult to start than it formerly was, when i first start it for the first minute it will run at about 500 rpm. any attempt to touch the accelerator pedal will stall it out. After it runs for about a minute, rpm will increase to about 700. At that point, if i push on the pedal, it has no impact and nothing will change. I can floor the pedal and its as if its not connected to anything. Only after it warms a bit more will the pedal have any influence on rpm and it will only take gas very slowly, too much and it will stall. Maybe this additional info will help clarify the situation. Thanks -Alan

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
I believe you have a fuel delivery problem.
There are various threads on this forum about how to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
350 Posts
check from the fuel distributor to the injectors the thin steel lines and on each injector you can screw loose each nut but start the car first and when it idles turn loose a little on each injector and see if there is sufficient fuelflow that comes out . i did forget to ask when you start it up does it feel that it got way to rich mixture ore not . how ever those engines do not use MAP sensor just the older does and up to 1975 even called D-jetronic . yours Ke -jetronic . when it idles after you removed the air cleaner ,engine idles push the big plate airfuel meter plate carefully down while engine is idle and see any changes normally the engine is going to run very very rich if you push it further down , but you can do so by pushing it down and the same time push ore pull like you feel it the linkage that is lockated on the left side of the fuelmeter house you can say if you stand in front of your car . and this is connected to the throttle body but you cant se it but only the linkage there , you can find it more in front of the engine to the left its near the first cylinders injector number 1 . try to move those two things and see whats happening . the meter plate must suck down when you apply any throttle if not there is the fault . and if there is a 380SL from say 83 i can tell you it might be the warm up regulator that gone bad i did got into some trubble like you tell us here . you must use the same regulator number exactly otherwise you didnt do anything .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. its going to be a week or two before i can get to it, but i've got some places to start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just became a member with the same exact problem with my 450 sel '79 (my parent's old car).

Let me know what you find out, when you get a chance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts