Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I’m have 3 questions that i was hoping to get some help with.

1/ If my 380sl is not in use for two weeks or more it start leak transmission oil.
If I drive it its bone dry..Not even a drip.... Any idea ?

2/ I’m looking for some vinyl to do some reapolsetry work on some of the panels.
Does anybody know of a place that sells the right kind of vinyl?

3/ in the image are two small plastic caps that has come off my car.
Where do the belong?
AF09657C-8669-4BA5-8CB8-1983A96C3705.jpeg

Thank you

Nicolai

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
You're sure it is transmission fluid? Is it red? There are other things that tend to leak if left unused, like the water pump but that would be green in color.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,588 Posts
2. Google 3M Di-Noc. There have been a couple of threads using it.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,588 Posts
Boy did I misread on the vinyl. I was thinking covering wood panels. Go with Aussiemerc's suggestion.

·
Premium Member
2,342 Posts
I just had your #1 problem on my '94 Camaro. If I let the car sit without running for a week or two there wouldn't be enough transmission fluid left to be able to make the car move forward or reverse. Changing the pan gasket solved the problem, but you said that the pan gasket has been changed twice.

I'll assume you checked the transmission drain plug so we'll ignore that for now.
Here's what I would do... drag yourself under the car (jack stands are widow makers so be smart about it). Clean off as much of the exterior of the transmission you can reach. Make it as clean as possible. Spray talcum powder all over the transmission case, fill the transmission with fluid to the full level, let the car sit for a few days and then go back under and locate the highest point where the talcum powder is no longer white. There's your leak.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all so much for your input.

Now i have another question.
I need to remove the drivers side door panel.

Any good way to do it?
I tried to poke around but it’s not coming off easy.
Anything i need to look out for ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great thank you,
You guys are so helpful!!

So now i came up with two more questions.

1/ i like to redo the wood around the gear shifter.
How do you get it out?

2/ When my car is cold or very hot is starts in less then 1-2 seconds.
But if i shot it off, and leave it for 5-10 min its hard to start and it does not fire on all 8 cylinder.
It takes a couple of seconds and it need a bit of help from me pushing the gas peddle.
Any idea ?

·
Premium Member
5,043 Posts
Great thank you,
You guys are so helpful!!

So now i came up with two more questions.

1/ i like to redo the wood around the gear shifter.
How do you get it out?

2/ When my car is cold or very hot is starts in less then 1-2 seconds.
But if i shot it off, and leave it for 5-10 min its hard to start and it does not fire on all 8 cylinder.
It takes a couple of seconds and it need a bit of help from me pushing the gas peddle.
Any idea ?
Do you have a manual? There is a link to a good one in the Sticky section. Door card removal and wood removal is well described. However to remove the wood around the shifter take out the ashtray and undo the 2 screws you will see. The whole ashtray surrounding box can be removed but watch the power plug on the left side of the box.There is a horizontal pin at the rear of the wood and the wood console s/be carefully slid backwards about 1 and1/2 inches and it will come loose. The various switches have plugs underneath so be gentle.when sliding them downwards off the pins. :) :)

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,588 Posts
1. Ignition off shifter in low. Remove ash tray. Remove ash tray frame. There are two phillips screws. Tilt out right side first and then unplug on the left side. Remove two screws at front of the wood panel. Slide the panel back to clear a plastic pin securing the rear. If your lucky the front of the side mirrors switch will pop up and you can pull and unplug it. Reach under and unplug the others.

2. Likely fuel accumulator. It maintains pressure to help with that situation.

·
Premium Member
5,043 Posts
There are some good posts on re doing the wood. If your wood has cracks in the clear varnish but none in the wood itself you can easily remove the old varnish with Acetone.. You will need to put it in a bath for several days and it will fall off. Use one of those large plastic food containers with a lid so the acetone doesn't evaporate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello again.
Making good progress on my 380.

I removes the chrome plates see image.
Underneath it I found a rubber part the had fallen off see image.

Does anybody know where and how its hold in place ?

Thank you for your help BD3EF881-A0D0-48EF-9484-F7BA7291375B.jpeg EB799E35-E7EC-489B-9940-0BD2D4DB9C3A.jpeg FA078D29-169C-419E-B196-E4D324419253.jpeg 581B1865-AD0E-4FC2-9888-361DAAF6D78A.jpeg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts