Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!! At the bottom, the rear glass in the hardtop on my '85 380sl appears to just float about 3/16 inch in front of the exterior bottom trim and 1/4 inch behind and above the car body. It (or the rear trim piece) rattles noisily every time the car goes over a little bump. Any ideas on whether there is supposed to be any support for the rear glass at the bottom or how I might be able to stop the rattle? I have temporarily wedged a hard rubber shim between the glass bottom and the car on the inside, and this stops the rattle, but may create too much tension in the glass leading to breakage.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Mechanic: Sir, I have fixed the rattles but dont open the doors cos the paper will fall out.

Sorry cant help, but a little humor might brighten your day.

Trevor

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Any ideas on whether there is supposed to be any support for the rear glass at the bottom or how I might be able to stop the rattle?
When I first got my 78 the side windows on the hard top rattled. I temporarily fixed it the same way you did yours - by wedging something in there to fill up the gap. When I got my 75, the side windows had a seal that was loose on one window. It looked exactly like the long, round rubber seal you use to repair window screens. I went to the hardware store and got some (it wasn't a standard size, so I had to look at a few stores) and put it in the windows and it worked beautifully. No more rattles and the windows stay the way they're supposed to.

No, it's not the back window, but this should also work on the rear window.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just thought I'd share my quick fix today. My rear quarter windows were rattling too, so after investigating I gently pulled the bright-work trim away from the glass (using plastic to pry) and that gave me good access to the bottom of the glass. It would appear the issue is that the rubber seal inside the window is dried out and not filling the gap the way it did 40 years ago. So, for the time being, I used adhesive lined black felt and ran it along the bottom of the glass under the trim. The trim then presses back into its clips and the window is tight so doesn't rattle. And I figure even if it loosens up a bit over time, the felt will keep it from making noise. If I have to replace it every now and then, I'd say it's worth the effort for fifty cents worth of felt. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts