Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1982 SL 380, 2001 325i, 2003 Toyota Highlander
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All-

I'm in the process of doing my first fuel filter change - I have very little hands-on maintenance experience, so forgive my ignorance. There is lots of good info out there, but I've read from a few sources it's a good idea to relieve pressure from the fuel system before disconnecting the filter for safety reasons. I didn't see this step in anything I could find on BW, but I went ahead and did it once I found the Fuel Pump Relay (disconnected while engine running). When I took the filter out, I only dripped about a cup or so of gas, and I didn't get a lot of spray when I cracked the nuts either (less than what you get opening a pop can.) With this car, is this step a) Mandatory, b) Optional or c) A waste of time?

Anyway, I wasn't able to find a photo of the FPR, but I took the best photo I could and thought I would post it here for the benefit of those who may be looking for one. It's at the bottom of the pic just left of center with the white lettering and the thick red cable out of the connector. It's not the best pic, but the best I could do in the confined space without a short lens. I can give it another shot if people are looking for something more clear. I need to hunt down a couple of copper gaskets to replace the old ones before I can put it together, so photo ops still exist.

Enjoy-

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,507 Posts
Hey All-

I'm in the process of doing my first fuel filter change - I have very little hands-on maintenance experience, so forgive my ignorance. There is lots of good info out there, but I've read from a few sources it's a good idea to relieve pressure from the fuel system before disconnecting the filter for safety reasons. I didn't see this step in anything I could find on BW, but I went ahead and did it once I found the Fuel Pump Relay (disconnected while engine running). When I took the filter out, I only dripped about a cup or so of gas, and I didn't get a lot of spray when I cracked the nuts either (less than what you get opening a pop can.) With this car, is this step a) Mandatory, b) Optional or c) A waste of time?

Anyway, I wasn't able to find a photo of the FPR, but I took the best photo I could and thought I would post it here for the benefit of those who may be looking for one. It's at the bottom of the pic just left of center with the white lettering and the thick red cable out of the connector. It's not the best pic, but the best I could do in the confined space without a short lens. I can give it another shot if people are looking for something more clear. I need to hunt down a couple of copper gaskets to replace the old ones before I can put it together, so photo ops still exist.

Enjoy-
Good effort.
On a side note, OEM filter from your local dealer normally includes the crush washers. It's good that you are changing them.

·
Registered
1985 380SL, 1998 230SLK
1,548 Posts
I just posted this in another thread, but it'll help here. As long as you're under there with the fuel filter, I have it written up in my blog at HalBlog. Pick the link to the main blog and search for the title "Give it some gas" and you'll find it. I've got pics of that area and info on changing the filter (as well as one of the lines I had to swap out).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just posted this in another thread, but it'll help here. As long as you're under there with the fuel filter, I have it written up in my blog at HalBlog. Pick the link to the main blog and search for the title "Give it some gas" and you'll find it. I've got pics of that area and info on changing the filter (as well as one of the lines I had to swap out).
Thanks - I did review that post prior to starting - appreciate the help.

The OEM filter at the dealer was $55. I ordered a Bosch unit online for 19. As long as the washers are less than $15 per, I'll come out ahead.

·
29,507 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,196 Posts
Thanks - I did review that post prior to starting - appreciate the help.

The OEM filter at the dealer was $55. I ordered a Bosch unit online for 19. As long as the washers are less than $15 per, I'll come out ahead.
Last time I bought a Bosch filter I thought it came with the crush washers. IMO reliving the pressure is a wast of time. Just put down a large pan and keep drop lights and cigarrets away from the area while you crack the lines.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
IMO reliving the pressure is a wast of time. Just put down a large pan and keep drop lights and cigarrets away from the area while you crack the lines.
I agree. Eyebrows are overrated anyway. Who needs 'em.

·
29,507 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last time I bought a Bosch filter I thought it came with the crush washers. IMO reliving the pressure is a wast of time. Just put down a large pan and keep drop lights and cigarrets away from the area while you crack the lines.
Fair enough. Anyway, I found matching washers at a Carquest in town (No charge. I bought some wiper blades cause I felt bad...) Got it all back together in an hour (again, my first time). No leaks, and to further illustrate my confidence, I let my wife drive it to a meeting this evening after I was done.

One thing - is it my imagination, or is it possible that the fuel pump is quieter, because it doesn't need to work as hard pushing gas through the gunk? Once I got it going again, I swear the pump noise was significantly reduced.

·
29,507 Posts
One thing - is it my imagination, or is it possible that the fuel pump is quieter, because it doesn't need to work as hard pushing gas through the gunk? Once I got it going again, I swear the pump noise was significantly reduced.
Makes sense.

·
Registered
81 380 SL. 98 lexus GS 300 2000 Toy tundra
23 Posts
Hello I need to test my relay so do you still have the oppertunity for another pic of the relay?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ugh. Got it back together yesterday. Just remove the panel under the glove box. Then, get into the car upside down with your head in the footwell. Look up. You'll see what was pictured in the original post. It's a black box with white lettering and a fairly thick cable coming out of the connector.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts