Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1983 380SL in practically new condition. I'm considering installing a different engine for better performance. Can someone tell me (or guide me to a proper resource or book) which engines will swap right into my american spec car with little to no conversion? I was once told that the early european 500SL motor was a direct fit except for the exhaust manifolds.<br>
<br>
Thank you,<br>
<br>
SLCliff

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A 500SL motor (117.960, 117.962) will be the most direct fit, needing only appropriate exhaust manifolds. The 380SL exhaust manifolds will work, although some very _minor reformation_ of the right side firewall will be necessary. This is true of any M117 motor you decide to use (450, 500, 560).<br> <br> If you use the engine from a sedan (117.961/963), you will also have to change the oil pan.<br> <br> You *may* be able to use a 560 engine without changing the fuel or electrical system. Same goes for the 450.<br> <br> A 420 engine can be used with your 380 exhaust manifolds and your SL oil pan. As with the 560 engine, I'm not sure how much you'd gain in terms of performance, since you'd be using your old electronics and injection system.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark, if you use a 560 engine are you suggesting that you would use the 380 injection and electrical system? Does that bolt up directly? Someone I talked to said the swap would be difficult because they planned on using the 560 injection, dual fuel pumps, wire harness and so forth. That made it sound like too much effort in 380 so I dropped the idea. However if the 380 parts bolt right on the 560 motor it simplifies it. My 380 engine is shot and I can't find a used one, so I was considering a 560.

·
Registered
450SLC
347 Posts
yes, if you swap the oil pans over.

560 will need all the 560 ECU parts, injectors sensors etc, would be easy enough to swap over to MSII or anyother aftermarket ECU. Even on the 380 you would end up with more power then most of the swaps controlling the 380 with a modern ECU other hten the 560(which will need a ECU of some sort anyway).

·
Registered
1 Posts
380 Engine

Im parting up a 1985 380 with a fully rebuilt engine as of 5000 miles ago, if you or any one else can use this or any other parts send me an email

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
my 380 sl idles really rough at 1000 rpm's after our local MB dealer rebuild the vacuum system for a cool 1675.00 dollars. Any idea what the problem is? It has 120,000 miles from new.
My email is [email protected]

·
Registered
1984 380 sl (currently wkg on 5.0 euro motor swap). 2002 Ford Expedition
821 Posts
I am in the middle of doing this exact swap. A 5.0 euro motor into a 380sl. It has been very straight forward so far and everything has swapped over with ease. I researched this a lot and the nice thing is that all of the fuel injection, distributor ICU, starter accessories all swap over. The oil pan and oil filter and housing swap from the 3.8. I have had to do almost no parts chasing with the exception of replacing rubber parts. Also all the wiring for the sensors and controls are also the same as opposed to the 560 (from what I understand) and the euro horse power is a little higher I believe. Do a search and you can see pictures and a progress report.

One of the other members had done this same swap and was very happy with the results.

I also have a 3.8 that was rebuilt with less than 2m miles on it that I will be selling. It came in a 500sl that I am going to put a 5.0 in when I finish the 380 sl. I have reciepts and it has great compression, had great leakdown test numbers and the cam timing is spot on.

PM me if anyone is interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts