Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
1981 380SL
Discussion Starter #1
After owning my first R107 for two years, I've decided to start replacing everything that isn't perfect about it. Last year, I fixed all the rust on it and had it pained while it was torn apart putting in a new bulkhead. This fall, I noticed a small oil leak under pressure which turned out to be the oil filter canister hitting the crossmember. As it turns out, the engine that the previous owner put in there was from a W126 chassis (380SEC year unknown). As many of you know, the oil filter points upward on an W126 and downward on an R107, as well as using different oil pans. The oil pan was also hitting the crossmember which is why there seemed to be considerable vibration coming up through the floor. Not a big deal to me. I got an R107 oil pan and downward pointing oil filter assembly. While I had the crossmember out, I put in an updated crossmember in excellent shape was well as new springs, shocks, A-arms, crossmember bushings, sway bar and engine mounts. Every single rubber piece that touches the chassis or suspension front and back is being replaced, no exceptions. This car still had the W126 engine mounts. The W126 engine mounts have the mounting holes in the center and the mounting holes as you know are at two of the corners on an R107. The engine mounts were bolted on the crossmember at a 30 degree angle causing the engine and transmission to be about 1/4 of an inch (6mm) forward. Once I put the new crossmember with new R107 engine mounts on for sizing, the engine was too far forward. I loosened the transmission mount behind the engine trying to rock the engine into the engine mount pockets with no luck. the car was never in a wreck. The engine mount supports bolted to the engine have the proper part number for an R107
The questions I have is:
Could turning the R107 mounts 180 degrees help?
After loosening the transmission mount and suspending the engine, is there anything else that could stop the engine and transmission from moving back a little? The diff seems to be mounted on rubber and looks like it could allow 1/4 inch back movement. While the engine is suspended, it moves easily from side to side, but no movement from front to back.

Thanks in advance.

100_6858.JPG

Registered
1981 380SL
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update in case anyone was losing sleep 馃榿. Once I put in the new oil pan, the engine was no longer pushing forward. Problem solved.
Hopefully I'm not guilty of bumping up a thread. If so; Apologies.

Registered
1973 450 SL
I am one of many who read this with interest - just had no knowledge to answer with any help. I'm glad you got it all lined up. Well done!

Registered
1981 380SL
Discussion Starter #5
Oh - and show us pictures of your car please
I did notice there were quite a few views and figured no one had encountered the issue. I'm not much of a picture taker, so here goes. The pic I put in the avatar is prior to paint. The pic below is right before I pulled the crossmember (after paint). The smaller pic is one when I brought it home, day one. If I were to take a picture of the car currently, there will be no crossmember. When the suspension is done, there will be 16" bundts on it.
Thanks for asking. I thoroughly enjoy other people pictures. As you can tell, I've been registered for over a year and only have a few posts. I think I'm warming up now. You got me to fill in my avatar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts