Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380SL
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the most annoying rattle that I THINK I have located to the underside of the pan that holds the convertible top when down. It is a metallic sound and varies when the top is in the up position or the down position and, at one point used to vary if the cable were pulled taught. Now it just rattles pretty much all the time. I have stuck my hand from the battery compartment as far as I can to try to move wires or the any cables around (no effect), I have put the metal deck lid up (no effect), I have stuck all kinds of cloths around the visible cable running along the floor of the convertible top pan (no effect), I have tried every possible combination of lock and latch (no effect), I have had the latch replaced (no effect). Is there a cable that runs along the outside of the pan behind the trunk? Is there a way to get back in there without tearing the car half apart?

I am going crazy with this! Has anyone else experienced this problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize your post is 5 years old, but I see no replies to your dilemma. I hope that in 5 years you've solved the problem or have developed a healthy tolerance for it. The hole into which goes the rear pin of your soft- and hardtops is surrounded on the exterior of the car by a decorative chrome piece. This piece is held in place by two pins, one on either side of the hole, which insert through holes in the metal softtop compartment cover. On the underside of the compartment cover, if either of the nuts that tighten the decorative chrome piece in place are loose, the piece will rattle like the dickens. Been there done that and done with that.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,153 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Imagine, a newbie with a solution rather than a problem on the first post. How refreshing!
Just gotta work on the timing. You know it is 2008?

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,185 Posts
I will be checking those attachments on my next day off. Driving with the soft top up has been an exercise in annoyance what with all the clatter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts