Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes 380SL
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, thought i would give you an update in the SL.
I have stripped it down to the heater unit, i'm dreading taking that out. But it has to be done.

Can someone tell me why the car has rust on the top of the front wheelhouse on both sides, maybe i'm missing something but both are covered by the wings.

can you see on one of the pics the wiper mechanism frame is attached to the vent with hose clamps, high tech eh!

Attachments

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
Pictures in This Post are Disturbing

I think a lot of this is caused by leaves, and remnants thereof clogging the drain holes.

I was over at Fochmann's today pointing out that pre-86 cars rust above the headlights due to all the JUNK that goes up there and develops its own ecosystem. Cleaning this out with a brush and hose follwed up with additional rustproofing is important to do.

I've found that a faulty seal between the sealing plate and inner/outer fender (to the rear of each front tire) is probably the cause of 70% of all of the rust behind the wheels, both at the fender and at the rocker, the other 20% is probably caused by the seal to the outer fender.

Everyone who drives their car daily needs to look at these pictures, become sickened by them, and then go out and thoroughly clean all drain holes (it's a pain, but worth it) I've also done pretty extensive rustproofing with POR and similar rust encapsulators. Unfortunately, this is a case of closing the barn door after the horses got out in some cases, so it's cutting and welding this spring for me.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,234 Posts
There are some real masochists on this board.
Here in the states this car would not be cost effective to save. Down under and in Europe is a different story. I saw a great thread of one like this come back to life in the UK.

·
Registered
1979 280CE 1973 350SL AMG
185 Posts
It all looks familiar to me, my car has the same issues, I managed to get patch panels for all the affected area's. Cause if probably a combination of poor rustproofing and blocked drains. The heator should be straightforward to remove from this stage, you've done most of the hard work

·
Registered
Mercedes 380SL
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
380SL basket case

Hi all,
got back from work on sat (rain), got stuck into my sl. Removed the heater unit and heat exchanger, what a bastard! took more pictures, (have a good laugh!). not having much luck locating a replacement cowl. think i may have to look at fixing other areas of the car until i can do the cowl. Just wanted to fix the hardest first.
Will have to remove the engine also to do a respray and renew engine mounts and anything else thats worth doing, only problem is i'm running out of room, my garage looks like the local junk yard!

Bye for now, any help appreciated!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
:eek:

:sawzall:

:banghead:

:surrender:​

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
^^^ That car is messed up! Even the steering wheel is on the wrong side:)

Man, you got you work cut out for you... Can't wait to see you resurrect it!

Good luck

·
Registered
Mercedes 380SL
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
380SL basket case

Thanks, but it's a right hand drive i think K & K only deal with ones on the wrong side!

Do ya think that even though i have tagged every cable and connection, bagged and boxed all the components in sections, took photos and took my time removing items, it will ever be put back together correctly, if at all?

Do you think that one could rebuild the car using this site and other resources including books and manuals without being so meticulous in the dismantle stage?

i think that i am going to have to remove the entire body of it's bit's and pieces to do a proper job! and it would be quicker if i just got stuck in and not worry at this stage how it all goes back together, what do you think?

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,358 Posts
I think you will be glad of disassembly pics later.
What seems obvious now will surely be less so in reverse with the passage of time.

·
Registered
'85 380SL (155Kmiles), '82 240D stick, '80 300SD, '77 240D, '89 BMW 535i, 3 VW Diesels, 2 Triumphs
1,553 Posts
I've found that a faulty seal between the sealing plate and inner/outer fender (to the rear of each front tire) is probably the cause of 70% of all of the rust behind the wheels, both at the fender and at the rocker, the other 20% is probably caused by the seal to the outer fender.
True 'dat. The one I just had, oddly had rust just above the passenger front jacking hole that I though was coming down from inside the fender. I pulled the fender out and all was clean and perfect in there, save for the bottom half inch under the trim. So I ground off all I could, POR 15'd the sill, added some putty and painted. Then POR'd the back of the fender just for grins, sprayed copious amounts of Waxoyl in the cavity replaced the sealing plate and tarred the seams.

I can't help but wonder how much the 560SL inner liners are. I don't really need them down here as long as I keep an eye on the fenders, but you Northerners ought to get them at any cost.

Rick

·
Registered
1978 450SL (RIP); 2007 Impala 9C3 (Police); 2010 Ford Edge
212 Posts
I can't help but wonder how much the 560SL inner liners are.

Rick
Inner liners?? Like wheel wells? Didn't know they had them. I've got some work to do, but a set of those someday would be worthwhile.(although when I'm done, my SL won't see raod salt again!).

·
Registered
1984 MB 380SL, 08 Ford Escape Hybrid, 1999 GSX1300R Hayabusa, 1989 Honda NX250
93 Posts
Wow :eek: And I thought I had some rust..... respect for taking this one up!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts