Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at photos of 380SEC in my area. The paint seems "cloudy" on all top surfaces. The car is dark blue, my question is "does the car have a clear coat". My understanding is that if it has a clear coat, it will not respond to buffing/compounding. That would mean a paint job is in order.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have been looking at photos of 380SEC in my area. The paint seems "cloudy" on all top surfaces. The car is dark blue, my question is "does the car have a clear coat". My understanding is that if it has a clear coat, it will not respond to buffing/compounding. That would mean a paint job is in order.
Single-stage automotive paint has no clear coat, yet you can still buff with compound. In this case, the buffing pad will be stained with the color of the paint, which is okay as long as you don't over do it or burn into the paint.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Use a little rubbing compound and see if the car color comes off on your rag . If the color cones off it’s single stage .

Both single stage and clear coat respond very well to buffing and polishing if done properly . Watch some YouTube detailing videos

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I go look at this car, I doubt the owner is going to allow me to scratch, sand, or compound an area. So, my question remains, does a dark blue '83 have a clear coat? If so, I am convinced a paint job is in order, and I am not sure the car merits it.

·
SuperModerator
13,204 Posts
Looks like metallic two stage paint to me. If so, it still may well respond to TLC. If the upper surface if the clearcoat is all thats gone cloudy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
tusabes
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing