Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'83 280SE (Daily Driver), '84 380SE (Donor/ Parts)
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
the tranny in my 83 280se has given up the ghost, i have a 84 380se as a parts/ donor car.
what i want to know is can i swap the 380 tranny into the 280?
will it fit/ bolt straight up?

Or would i be better off trying to fix the 280 gearbox?
the problem it has is it wont engage any forward gear unless i stab the accel a couple of times.
i cant drive it like this as it is too dangerous, like trying to get across intersection, crawling halfway and having a truck come around the corner....
i had someone tell me it was a problem with the pump in the tranny, like the seals are dried out... and was suggested to pour a bottle of a "seal conditioner" into it.
is there any truth in that?
what would be my best option?
i have the equipment and knowhow to pull out an engine/ gearbox and swap but i just would like some opinions first :)

thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try a B2 piston kit, if that doesn't work save it and put it in the 380's box.
so would i be correct in assuming the 380 box is the same as the 280? hence same b2 piston?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The boxes are the same, part number differences are "tweaks" the transmission plant made so the box will shift correctly behind different engines without having to screw with it on the assembly line.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
transmission interchangeability

sorry to resurrect an old post but i have another question regarding the 126 gearboxes.

i am selling both the 280se and 380se donor car and just want to confirm something for the prospective buyer.

he has asked me if the gearboxes are interchangeable thruout the range (280se, 380se, 420se, 500sel etc...)
and if so, are any differences just in the shifting characteristics depending on which motor they are behind?
(as per NordRhein's post)
thanks in advance
:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts