Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 380sl starts but won't maintain idle. I started from TDC and got the engine running, but it won't hold idle it just stops running. After it stops it will start right up again. I have replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, rotor, cap and wires, plugs also.Any suggestions as to where I can start to fix my no idle problem?

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,704 Posts
Do you have the electronis throttle plate .There is a carbon track inside that wears in one place it it is this the unit will need rebuild .Go down this road only if all else fails . Do the simple things first like fuses

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,329 Posts
What happens when you goose it? Does it rev? That would eliminate fuel and spark as causes. If it just shuts off boom! then you have some kind of electrical problem maybe, like the FP relay or a controller. Or perhaps your throttle plate is just out of position and needs to be adjusted. Others will chime in. Good luck!

·
Registered
w108 & w107
146 Posts
Was it running fine before? If so what's changed since? As the above posters mentioned, it could either be air, fuel or spark. Just need to do a process of elimination if it's nothing obvious.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What happens when you goose it? Does it rev? That would eliminate fuel and spark as causes. If it just shuts off boom! then you have some kind of electrical problem maybe, like the FP relay or a controller. Or perhaps your throttle plate is just out of position and needs to be adjusted. Others will chime in. Good luck!
I am not familiar with the that term, the engine does rev . thanks for your help/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have the electronis throttle plate .There is a carbon track inside that wears in one place it it is this the unit will need rebuild .Go down this road only if all else fails . Do the simple things first like fuses
This 107 is a 1981 without a electronic throttle plate. I am guessing there must be a vacuum leak

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On top of the fuel distributor there is a small tower that fits a 3mm allen wrench, does it control air or fuel or both?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts