Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
380 SL - 1982
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a whine seemingly coming from the rear end which peaks and is really objectionable at around 60 MPH. It's only present under normal engine load, disappearing when removing accelerator pressure or under heavy acceleration.

Also, it recently began to rumble and vibrate between 30 and 45 MPH. Under moderate to heavy acceleration it's a pulsing noise and vibration.

Mechanic found one of the 6 bolts very loose at the front end of the drive shaft and tightened. Only other problem was the right rear axle (CV ?) shaft moves slightly left and right when rotating the wheel, and you hear a faint and fairly frequent (but not regular)click. You can feel it when holding your hand on the axle. My impression is that it is in the outer joint. You can grasp the axle and fairly easily move it at least an inch left and right. The left side will move left and right some but is not nearly as easily moved, and no noise come from that side.

One last item: the mechanic could not remove the plug to check for rear end fluid level. It has been overtightened apparently.

Car has 106,000 miles. Previous owner apparently had a vibration problem because I note in the maintenance records he had the drive shaft rebalanced and the flex disks at each end of the drive shaft appear new, as does the rear end damper. The mechanic feels the vibration is being caused by the right rear axle problem, and the whine is emitting from the rear end and could be caused by bad teeth alignment, bushing or bearing.

Has anyone experienced any of these problems, and if so, what was the fix?

Thanks, Don36

·
Registered
1972 350SL Auto
17 Posts
odd noise

Are you sure it's the rear?
I get a disturbing vibration / noise at 60 m.p.h., but it is due to the centre exhaust box being in the process of dying. The innards start to vibrate at a resonant frequency according to how far gone thay are. I would guess that as the box gets weaker the vibration will start at lower and lower revs.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
380 SL - 1982
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't think it's the exhaust. It was replaced about 5,000 miles ago. Seems to be coming from the rear end. Have ordered a right rear axle assembly and bearings. We'll see if that fixes the problem. If not it will be an expensive experiment.

Appreciate your input.

Don36

1 - 3 of 3 Posts