Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1986 LWB 300GD 6-2
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
once my 85 380SL warms up, it idles arround 1200-1900 RPM. In the beginnig it did it from time to time, but now it does it all the time. You can here the relay behind the glove compartment click of and on several times a minute. Is this a comon problem ? and is there a "easy" fix to this ?. Any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
2008 E 320 Bluetec (ELEGANCE) 2005 CLK500 (avant-garde)
1,928 Posts
one of 2 things...either the idle control unit (about $250 from the dealer) or the air val...

one of 2 things...either the idle control unit (about $250 from the dealer) or the air valve (not sure what it is, but mine was okay). Sorry, but there's no cheap fix. The control unti is easy to replace though.
[:(]

·
Registered
1986 LWB 300GD 6-2
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The idle controll unit, is it located behind the glovebox ?
Cheers Soeren

The idle controll unit, is it located behind the glovebox ?
Cheers Soeren

·
Premium Member
2008 E 320 Bluetec (ELEGANCE) 2005 CLK500 (avant-garde)
1,928 Posts
Yes, you have to remove the felt fibreboard inner liner and it's attached to the firewall ...

Yes, you have to remove the felt fibreboard inner liner and it's attached to the firewall right behind it.

·
Registered
1986 LWB 300GD 6-2
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fixed the problem today !
The idle speed control unit had a colt solder joint.
After re-...

Fixed the problem today !
The idle speed control unit had a colt solder joint.
After re-soldering each and everyone of them on the controller circuit board, the high idle problem went away. By the way I have a better running and more powerfull engine now as well, just like before I had the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
380sl Hunting at Idle

I have exactly the problem as described. When the engine is warm I hear the the clicking behind the dashboard. In the beginning the high idle was experienced as periodical and now in its 3rd season (only summer user) it is permanently. When I take the K-jetronic controlbox off it runs normal, slightly low with a tendency to stall and slow accel.
You talked about "the Idle Control Box" - is this box also on a 1984 380 SL USA model and at same location? Mine has the Idle Speed Control Valve (23) on the engine.

Suggestions welcome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts