Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes 1982 380 SL, 2002 E320 4matic, 1988 560 SEL Navy Blue
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:After searching this forum for quite a while now, looking on internet, looking onto the CD rom and the parts cd-rom from MB america, I'm sure that the information is whell

I have a blinker relay..... 4 flasher swithc is not on the car since I boutht it. Flashers light up but no blink.... Only since this mornig was working before

Need some help to localise the RELAY on a 380 Sl 1982... removed console wood trim, looked under drivers side (found the wiper relay) removed the glove box inner, found few things like fuel pump relay, removed hastray, climate control panel, looked around but no traces of a BLINKER RELAY !!!!

Someone can help me a little further ???

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
I have a blinker relay..... 4 flasher swithc is not on the car since I boutht it. Flashers light up but no blink.... Only since this mornig was working before
I believe the 82 model still had the blinker/flasher relay as part of the emergency flasher switch. Meaning that you replace the switch in the shift console and that also replaces the relay.

·
Registered
1980 450SL & 1988 560SL
1,667 Posts
Mine is like Scott says. It is the built as part of the switch.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my case, the swith is removed and inoperative since I got the car, and only since this morning it is not working..... BUT Flashers where staying on even if the key was not in..... I suspect now a weird transformation which is nor working anymore.....

Any thought ?

thanks

·
Registered
1980 450SL & 1988 560SL
1,667 Posts
Manual says the electronic flasher is in center console forward of the shift lever

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Manual says the electronic flasher is in center console forward of the shift lever
And the manual says also that there is a flasher and a separate hasard swithch. It's just I can't find this flasher relay. I see it on the drawing but not in the car.... Just need to figure out how to get to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
In my case, the swith is removed and inoperative since I got the car, and only since this morning it is not working..... BUT Flashers where staying on even if the key was not in..... I suspect now a weird transformation which is nor working anymore.....

Any thought ?

thanks
Your suspections are probably correct. Check wiring and intermediate voltage. To a common ground. Rewire correctly. Have fun.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, here what I found !

Emergency flasher has been bypassed by previous owner, jumped 2 connections together... So I DO HAVE a blinker relay somewhere.... I'll continue to search for it. Found a batch of relays on right side passenger footwell.... Right above the fuse box... Trying to figure if one of these maybe the flasher relay.... I'll keep you informed

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, everything leads me to a flasher/blinker relay behing the center console in front of the shift stick.....

Wires jumped just are feeding the relay and the lamps themselfs, and that is why the flashers where worjing even if the car was keyless (off) previous owner didnot want to buy a new switch... sot it is not my issue here.

So I have a relay and anybody here have ever had to remove the relay which is behing the console ? and if so, how did you get to it ? Hope I don't have to dismantle the whole car to find it...

Thanks for your help !!!!

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,941 Posts
I'm not aware of any relays behind the console on the 560SL. There are some behind the glove box see the first two pictures. There is an (OVP relay red top with fuse), above the fuse box and a timer relay silver for the curtesy lights as well and an Unidentified brown relay and an unidentified black relay (VDO) all in the third picture. But I believe the flasher an turn signals are all together in the large relay box on the passenger side foot panned of the fourth picture. Top black box is some kind of light relay (possibly turn signal and flasher). The lower silver box is ABS. The left side box is the CIS ECU.

Then there is a relay behind the instrument cluster. I have no idea WTF it does, possibly wipers. There is a large silver cruise control amplifier on the underside of the drivers side dash along with 2 other relays that I don't know WTF they are.

Now of course you realize that all is subject to change without notice between a 560SL and a 380SL

Then there is me who has lots of 129 relays for sale see my e-bay store.

Attachments

·
Registered
560 SL 1986
74 Posts
I have a problem with my wipers . The switch is on the off position and the wiper gps on and will not shut off. Is the the rely switch to ???

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a problem with my wipers . The switch is on the off position and the wiper gps on and will not shut off. Is the the rely switch to ???
In my case I found the wiper relay, under the legs panel of the driver on the firewall. To be sure, I pulled it out and tried the wipers. They worked and did not stop at all until I cut the power. About 2.5 inches lon, black, and square surface.... Good luck.

BTW, In my Quest (yes it seems to be a quest) for finding the blinker relay, I just put all the rel;ays I could find and unmarked, and place them back to their place. Miracle, I just don't know why but flashers are back to work. I hear the blinking sound close to the intruments panel...... I'll have to dig in there, but before replacing all the stuff, FMOI I'll take a lot of pictures, and try to get as most relays No as possible.....

·
Registered
560 SL 1986
74 Posts
How about a 560 sl my flashers do not work at all also my blinkers dont work and my wind shield wipers dont shut off so im having a bad day any body can help me please
Richardr

·
Registered
1982 380SL
42 Posts
I hear the blinking sound close to the intruments panel...... I'll have to dig in there, but before replacing all the stuff, FMOI I'll take a lot of pictures, and try to get as most relays No as possible.....
I was just behind my instrument panel on my SL to replace the "Brake" indicating light bulb (on the bottom left of instrument panel). I seem to remember reading somewhere the turn signal relay is behind the instrument panel, and I saw at least one relay sized box in there, but since I had somewhat of a laundry list of things to fix to pass my Hawaii safety check, I didn't pay too much attention to anything else in there.

Removing the instrument was amazingly easy . . . you have to take off the steering wheel first. To remove the steering wheel, pry off the emblem in the center of the steering wheel pad to expose and remove the nut. You'll need a 10mm allen wrench, and it's easiest to use the type in a socket because it's about 4 or 5 inches down in the steering wheel hub. My steering just pulled off by just grabbing it.

To remove the insturment panel, I used two flat head screwdrivers on the left and right bottom of the panel where it sticks out past the rest of the dash and pried easily. Nothing holds the instrument panel in except friction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts