Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94' E420 Mercedes Benz - 165k miles
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a code reader for a 8 and/or 14 pin reader but my 94' e420 has a 38 pin. Where can I find the parts for the 38? Banana plugs are too big and I have tried test probes which are too big as well. Any other ideas or suggestions on how to retrieve my fault codes?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2013 E350 sedan, 2013 E350 cab, 1993 400E sold,1999 ML320
2,447 Posts
Small pins from radio shack draws in the store is what i used. You are right the bannana pins were huge.

·
Registered
1991 300E
601 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may find the following schematic of the diagnostic connectors helpful also.
Model 124 Diagnostic Connector

Here's the full listing of MB fault codes, model years 1988-98, attached pdf in posting #2. (Registration required.)
w124 fault codes - MBWorld.org Forums
Thanks for the help. In your first link what does the N#'s represent at the end of the description of the pins? Also, I noticed your first link and 2nd link documentation is a little different. i.e. pin 5 on the first link is the ADS and on the 2nd link it has the ADS in pin 11.

·
Registered
1991 300E
601 Posts
N# codes appear to refer to the designation of the terminal, similar to the diagnostic connector's designation as X11/4 and the battery ground as W10 (see Electrical Troubleshooting Manual: Introduction, page 2). These correspond to the designations found in Electrical Troubleshooting Manual: Wire and Plug Connection.

Regarding the ADS, it seems to only be of concern in the W129 and W140 models as indicated in the CS100 Fault Code Scanner document, pages 53-55 (link requires MBworld login). Does your car have an Active Damping System? I find no mention of it in the W124 forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Regarding the ADS, it seems to only be of concern in the W129 and W140 models as indicated in the CS100 Fault Code Scanner document, pages 53-55 (link requires MBworld login). Does your car have an Active Damping System? I find no mention of it in the W124 forum.
I do not think it does. In that case pin 5 and 11 aren't used for my car?

Here is the complete list of fault codes I have for my car:

Pin # ------ System ------- Code # ------ Fault Notes
4 LH Sequential Multiport Fuel Injection System 13 Intake air temperature sensor, open or short circuit
6 Anit-lock Brake System (ABS &ABS w/ASR) 30 CAN data line to electronic accelerator/cruise control/idle speed control module
7 Electronic Accelerator / Cruise Control / Idle Speed Control w/ ASR 3 Right EA/CC/ISC actuator (left cylinder bank) (M16/1)
7 Electronic Accelerator / Cruise Control / Idle Speed Control w/ ASR 6 Starter lock-out/backup lamp switch
7 Electronic Accelerator / Cruise Control / Idle Speed Control w/ ASR 7 CAN data bus signal from EA/CC/ISC, ABS/ASR, HFM-SFI or LH-SFI (right or left) control module faulty
7 Electronic Accelerator / Cruise Control / Idle Speed Control w/ ASR 14 Closed throttle position contact switch
8 Base Module 5 Maximum permissible temperature in module box exceeded
8 Base Module 6 Electromagnetic a/c compressor clutch blocked
8 Base Module 7 Poly v-belt slipping
16 A/C 1 No Fault found
17 Distributor Ignition 1 No fault found
19 Diagnostic Module 3 Lambda control faulty
19 Diagnostic Module 6 Idle speed control faulty
19 Diagnostic Module 19 Injector open or short circuit or emission control system adaptation at limit
19 Diagnostic Module 26 Upshift delay switchover valve, circuit open or circuit short
30 Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) 4 Front passenger Airbag squib

I haven't cleared any codes yet. Basically, I am simply trying to get my car to start. It is turning over but that is all. Before it wouldn't start, it idled rough and after a while and it would even try to die when I moved the steering wheel or turned the A/C on full power. Any suggestions on the first thing I need to do to get it running again? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1991 300E
601 Posts
That's a bunch of faults; however, not all of them seem related to your starting problem.

It appears that you have some fuel-air issues (lambda control, throttle position, etc.). You appear to have many possible shorts also. The latter makes me wonder about the condition of your wiring harness. I believe the 1994 model year is known for the biodegradable harness, which fails. Most or all of your problems may be related to that issue. There are many posts about that problem Search Results: Keyword(s): harness, e420 ; Forum: W124 E,CE,D,TD Class. Thankfully, I have no personal experience with that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the two biggest faults are:

4 LH Sequential Multiport Fuel Injection System 13 Intake air temperature sensor, open or short circuit
19 Diagnostic Module 19 Injector open or short circuit or emission control system adaptation at limit

I had a wiring harness replaced around 2000. How long do they those last? *shaking head* seems like MB should replace them for free if they are that horrible.

With the fuel/air issues... would replacing the O2 sensor fix those? I have had the ASR problem for a long time and usually stop my car and turn off the engine and it goes away for a short while or even keep driving it with it on and depress and then press the pedal to "manually" change gears. That is something I cannot afford to fix and a problem I am willing to deal with.

·
Registered
1991 300E
601 Posts
7 Electronic Accelerator / Cruise Control / Idle Speed Control w/ ASR 6 Starter lock-out/backup lamp switch
?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts