Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

181 - 200 of 750 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
2003 SL500, 2003 SL55, and four R129s
4,470 Posts
C230 Sport Coup said:
So I saw in another thread Bob, that you bought the interface and got it working with your late model mb. You were able to access all the systems?
If this is so, I'm placing my order!
Place your order!!!

On my '03 SL500 the multiplexer unit accesses all systems and has all capabilities it is designed for. It communicates through the OBD-II connector, which is the only diagnostic port on my car.

The non-multiplexed unit is incapable of communicating through the OBD-II connector contrary to the claims that are made for it.

The best price I have seen for the multiplexer is $260 shipped on eBay. So $199 is a great price to pay.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG 1997 SLK230 & 1978 280CE
377 Posts
Lets hear from all those that have managed to scan all systems with Carsoft 7.4 using the OBD-II connector..............

My understanding is that it depends on when the diagnostic communication was changed to CAN Bus from K line........somewhere between 2002 and 2004 ......varies between models..................

At least those that are lucky enough to have a 38 pin connector can be sure that Carsoft 7.4 will give a full scan of all systems :D

Cheers

David

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,470 Posts
David in Australia said:
My understanding is that it depends on when the diagnostic communication was changed to CAN Bus from K line........somewhere between 2002 and 2004 ......varies between models..................
I have been under the impression that the change to CAN Bus occurred in April 2004 for all models. Maybe that is wrong...

·
Registered
3 Posts
David in Australia said:
This small MB tester program might help......checks communication with the interface.........interface needs to be connected to 38pin socket (or 12V Battery via banana plug lead) for power......

You might like to try the paperclip with the banana plug lead as a double check of the 38pin lead...........the 38pin lead that is supplied standard only has pin 4 conected, so a full scan would not work with this lead

Cheers

David
Hi Dave,
Sorry to wake up an old post like this, but I've just been using your MB tester program to try and make sense of a Carsoft7.4/multiplex i/f that doesn't work.
Your program says "Loopback test failed". OK... what does that mean to a néophyte like myself please?

I just bought a cracked Carsoft 7.4 and a multiplexer i/f for it but I get zero reply from any controller on the car. Ignition on... this is a 1999 A168 and I'm using the OBD skt. I was hoping your tool might point me towards the i/f box or the software....

Any advice greatfully received. It would appear from reading this entire thread that the world of cracked s/w and various interfaces is not as easy as I had imagined...

Cheers
PaulR

·
Registered
377 Posts
Are you using a laptop with an RS232 Serial connector or using a USB / RS232 adapter or PCMCIA RS232 card for the Laptop to I/F lead...... USB/PCMCIA =>RS232 adapters cause this sort of problem and can be quite tricky to configure properly

Cheers

David

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Dave,
I'm using a regular PC with a good old Serial Port (COM1) and Windows XP. Had no issues installing the software and I know the Serial Port works as I also use this PC to run a Cycling Home Trainer.

In fact, the port on the PC seems OK as when I run CARSOFT with the Multiplexer connected to the PC, but not plugged into the car, the software comes back with interface not detected. Plugging the car in means the software does it's thing but finds ZERO controllers in the Digital testing section.

I was intrigued by your little bit of software - by saying loopback test not working is it trying to tell me that the hardware in the multiplexer box is sick?

Thanks for your help - I'm ot looking forward to trying to convince the seller that his 200Euro box doesn't work so I'd like to be sure.

PaulR

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,127 Posts
Did you turn the ignition key or start the car?
It won't read jack if the key's not in.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Didn't you say somewhere in this thread that you're using a different connector than what came with the blue MUX?

And BTW, anyone know what specific protocol is used on US version
2002 C230 (not 320 as someone said) ?

bobterry99 said:
Place your order!!!

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
David in Australia said:
Lets hear from all those that have managed to scan all systems with Carsoft 7.4 using the OBD-II connector..............

At least those that are lucky enough to have a 38 pin connector can be sure that Carsoft 7.4 will give a full scan of all systems :D

Cheers

David
Even with the 38 pin to OBD2 adapter I have not had any luck getting readings.
I just continue to use the 38 pin to interface to PC and use the pin changeing method to access diff components in system.

Bazzle

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I broke down and bought one of the Scanner/Live data units from
that site for 56 bucks...
Well, at least I'll have a tool that works with any luck.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,470 Posts
C230 Sport Coup said:
Didn't you say somewhere in this thread that you're using a different connector than what came with the blue MUX?
I don't think I did. The connector I use is the standard OBD-II that comes with all of the Carsoft interfaces.

Bazzle said:
Even with the 38 pin to OBD2 adapter I have not had any luck getting readings.
You shouldn't be able to. Only the OBD-II diagnostic module is wired to your car's OBD-II port. The cars with which the multiplexer communicates with through the OBD-II port have no 38-pin connector.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use ProScan myscantool.com
(spendy version with software upgrades for life). So far so good. Responsive company. BTW you guys must drive the hell outta these cars to have so many issues with them. I got over a 100K with few problems. 1999SLK230

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,470 Posts
Real8 said:
I use ProScan myscantool.com
(spendy version with software upgrades for life). So far so good. Responsive company.
That ProScan looks really good. Of course, it won't diagnose a problem with your vario roof or tell you why your SRS light has just decided to turn-on.

·
Registered
1997 SLK 230K
68 Posts
Sorry if I'm being late into the discussion but when I search the net carsoft seems to be a belgian product. Is there a china division or is it a name coincidence??

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
leventguner said:
Sorry if I'm being late into the discussion but when I search the net carsoft seems to be a belgian product. Is there a china division or is it a name coincidence??
No corporate relationship, but no coincidence either.
Think replica... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
377 Posts
leventguner said:
Chinese Carsoft 7.4 is a clone of an old interface developed by 'Belgian' Carsoft as a cheaper alternative to MB Star DAS (Diagnosis Assistance System)

Carsoft developes On-Board diagnostic systems and repair assistance for BMW,Mercedes,VAG vehicles

Chinese Carsoft Multiplexer is about 1/10 the cost of Belgian Carsoft (current version 8.0 and covers all the current models with more help through their CIS program)

----- CARSOFT International ------------------------------------------------------------------

The Genuine Belgian Carsoft System is popular with MB Indy Techs.....as it is ~1/10 the cost of MB Star DAS

......if only Carsoft would realise the potential market for a cut down version (only cover one model or series) at a realistic price

.....I personally would happily pay $US1000 for a Multiplexer Version 8.0 with CIS for the R170.....they could then sell add-on 'keys' to open up other models in the software as required

Cheers

David

·
Registered
1997 SLK 230K
68 Posts
I see.. do you have a link or contact for the Chinese version? what is the price of the software? I see multiplexers on ebay saying they work with carsoft.. is functional for belgian or chinese? or both?? thanks.

·
Registered
2003 SL55
479 Posts
ok thanks for all the info in the thread........so im about to buy one of these (while the aussie dollar is high) for future use on a r129...........is the consensus that obd factory is the place to get it delivered to australia?..............bazzle is that contact you put above still relevant?

181 - 200 of 750 Posts