Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
see my signature.
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone every try this size?

I am looking at running a much lower offset than stock (think like high teens offset for wheels) to make the width work. As for height, I have the ML Pro suspension lift kit, and am working on a 2" body lift.... :D

Im thinking it should work, but want to see if anyone else has ever attempted it.

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,836 Posts
You will have no power. I have run 285-75-16 which is 33" tall and there is power loss. The gear ratio in the ML is like 3.70 to 1. For 37" tires you're gonna need like 5.88 to 1 gearing. I have found BMW X5 differentials that have 4.10 to 1 that would be perfect for 33" tires, but that still is not low enough for the tires you want to use.

·
Registered
see my signature.
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update for those interested....

These were too tall... Going back to the drawing board and going to try a 33x12.50x17.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
Just a quick question. Why do people do this to a Luxury SUV?
What is the payoff?

Just curious.....

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
well i guess thats relative... my ml430 seems downright rustic compared to the cayenne. Mercedes designed these trucks to be TOUGH.. I think its cool what Justin is doing with his. Why not make a rock crawler out of it? You can pick these cars up for pocket change these days so its not like they are prestigious.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
394 Posts
Can't disagree with pdxgrease.

I've given serious thought to finding a trashed one and tricking it out as a rock-crawler/off-roader. Mine is still too nice, as are most of them, but IF I could find one that was in bad shape cosmetically, I'd be seriously tempted to make it a hard-core off-road vehicle.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
I agree with both of you and I do think its cool on a pickup truck, theres a lot of nice superdutys and rams with huge 36 + tires and extremely wide ones in Saskatchewan.
I agree that its a matter of viewpoint though. Maybe its because I don't ever see an suv with big tires. Is it "normal" to see them in the states?

I have to ask though pdx, when was the last time you seen a 2000 + X3, or land rover with anything over 20" tires, or ones that stick out 6" from the fender.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
Update for those interested....

These were too tall... Going back to the drawing board and going to try a 33x12.50x17.
Those are going to rub the inner well while turning - FYI. It's not obnoxious...but it gets looks from people standing nearby. Like Rude, I am running 33s. Jack the front up and it will give you a level look. Add a rear spacer and longer front shocks...you'd be set.

You WILL have a loss of power on highway/roads...but off road you should be fine. Highway MPG will go up.

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
I have to ask though pdx, when was the last time you seen a 2000 + X3, or land rover with anything over 20" tires, or ones that stick out 6" from the fender.
Amigo, not sure I understand the question. Stock diameter is 29" so the 20" figure is throwing me off. What are you asking again?

·
Registered
see my signature.
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a quick question. Why do people do this to a Luxury SUV?
What is the payoff?

Just curious.....
Why not? It has a pretty capable AWD system, and low range!

well i guess thats relative... my ml430 seems downright rustic compared to the cayenne. Mercedes designed these trucks to be TOUGH.. I think its cool what Justin is doing with his. Why not make a rock crawler out of it? You can pick these cars up for pocket change these days so its not like they are prestigious.
Exactly! Plus these things are fairly inexpensive to maintain/repair when something does happen. Parts are very plentiful and inexpensive.

I've given serious thought to finding a trashed one and tricking it out as a rock-crawler/off-roader. Mine is still too nice, as are most of them, but IF I could find one that was in bad shape cosmetically, I'd be seriously tempted to make it a hard-core off-road vehicle.
My ML would have straight axles right now if I could figure out how to keep 4-ETS with straight axles, or make the transfer case lockable on demand. If I go straight axled, I don't know of a way to measure the speed of each wheel to keep ESP/4ETS happy. :(

Thought I have also given though to getting a clapped out ML, welding the transfer case, and getting some solid axles with spools/LSDs/lockers!

I agree with both of you and I do think its cool on a pickup truck, theres a lot of nice superdutys and rams with huge 36 + tires and extremely wide ones in Saskatchewan.
I agree that its a matter of viewpoint though. Maybe its because I don't ever see an suv with big tires. Is it "normal" to see them in the states?

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I would not say its normal, but its not uncommon.

I wanted something different, and that is what the ML gave me. :)

Those are going to rub the inner well while turning - FYI. It's not obnoxious...but it gets looks from people standing nearby. Like Rude, I am running 33s. Jack the front up and it will give you a level look. Add a rear spacer and longer front shocks...you'd be set.

You WILL have a loss of power on highway/roads...but off road you should be fine. Highway MPG will go up.
Im running the ML pro lift kit from bosch brakes in the rear with his new bushings up front.

I am looking to add a 1" spacer on each wheel to get a little wider track, and for better clearance with the body, etc.

Are you running F150 shocks?

Amigo, not sure I understand the question. Stock diameter is 29" so the 20" figure is throwing me off. What are you asking again?
I think 20" wheels.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
Im running the ML pro lift kit from bosch brakes in the rear with his new bushings up front.

I am looking to add a 1" spacer on each wheel to get a little wider track, and for better clearance with the body, etc.

Are you running F150 shocks?
I have the front bushings but I didn't know the spacers were done, so I will need to order some.

If you do serious off roading, be careful with spacers - make sure you get them custom made or made for Mercedes as MB has that self centering portion of the wheel that is awesome - you'd lose that with a spacer and could have issues. Also, not all spacers are equal. I have stainless steel from China with rust on it. Just saying.

Yes, I am running the F-150 shocks so I have the availability of pushing my front WAYY up. As Rude mentioned long ago on the forum - too far and your alignment suffers. I think he said he got 8" of lift but his wheels were jacked up lol. Not sure if it's the shocks or company - but I have abused them quite a bit and they still feel great. I just hit 200K miles as well.

I also built an aluminum skin bumper for the front to replace the old steel one I made. I am working on the design to finish out the kinks in it. Next will be a different rear bumper cover.

·
Registered
300CE-24, W204 C220 CDI, W210 E55 AMG, W124 300TE, W163 ML270 CDI
399 Posts
which specific f150 shocks are you running beardboy?
Very interested to get a part number for those shocks.

They're a little harder to obtain in Australia for test and fit.

Am currently doing a similar set up for my ML. Spring spacer in the rear for 2" lift, pump up the front, some bash plates and fitting 31s for the time being.

I don't want to lose out too much on performance as it is a daily driver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts