Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Unimog U1700L
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a 240hp 366LA. Great candidate for a rebuild. I got it sent to my work where I could load it on to the mog. Getting off at home was another story.

Luckily enough I have some local mates which are mog owners as well. Stuart and Matt both came by and live within 10 mins of me. Matt brought his crane truck and got to use his crane for the first time. The boys were a big help.

But yea... The plan is to sell the base engine of the 352a and then move the twincharged setup over to the 366 after I rebuild it with a few more performance mods.

Anyways here is the video of us off loading it in my shed. And a couple more pics.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Wood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Engineering
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
1995 MB 1224AF Doka
16 Posts
Nice! I have a OM366LA as well in my 1224AF. Just imported it to the states. I had MogTech in Europe turn up the IP and bench flow the injectors for more HP/TQ. I've been considering a turbo upgrade, I'll be interested in your build!

·
Registered
1983 Unimog U1700L
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! I have a OM366LA as well in my 1224AF. Just imported it to the states. I had MogTech in Europe turn up the IP and bench flow the injectors for more HP/TQ. I've been considering a turbo upgrade, I'll be interested in your build!
Awesome... Sounds like you'll have a pretty stout rig.

I'm not going to start the rebuild for my 366 quite yet.
I've already upgraded the turbo, injection pump, injectors and added a supercharger in the mix to my 352a so the plan is to move all those parts over to the 366 along with some internal parts being modified.

I'll probably have the pistons hard anodised and the crowns ceramic coated. The exhaust manifold and turbo turbine housing will get ceramic coated as well.

Get the rest of the engine cerakote painted might happen depending on budget.

·
Registered
U1550L/37 DOKA 366.963 | 718.811 Fast Axle inter-cooled
142 Posts
This is so cool, @ Downward Dog! I will have to deal with this in a next few months and would be looking out for your updates and experience. Also you know the IP will swap over to the 366LA? Or needs to be reworked again?

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
15,216 Posts
The OM366's generally have two lifting points, similar to the OM352. They often consist of a hook at the right front, and another hook (sometimes it can be an Eye) at the left rear. Each one is attached to the head with two bolts, but the plate on the green engine sitting on the lawn shows both and Eye and a Hook, and 5 bolts...

On Downward Dog's engine, you can see the top of the rear hook just peeping out.
The twin rubber bushings in the engine mount might indicate that there was originally a PTO box attached to the bell housing on this engine.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Gas Engineering
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Machine
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Grass Gas Machine
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rolling Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas Machine
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Gas
Motor vehicle Auto part Nut Classic Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part Machine

·
Registered
1983 Unimog U1700L
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is so cool, @ Downward Dog! I will have to deal with this in a next few months and would be looking out for your updates and experience. Also you know the IP will swap over to the 366LA? Or needs to be reworked again?

The pumps will swap over though each pump has a different adaptor plate the come with when fitted to the mog's from what I have seen on my 2 engines.

Swapping a 366 pump onto a 352a would add more power but would have to be recalibrated. And vise versa. But that is all dependant of what HP rating the pumps were originally set for. It's a bit of messing around.

My pump on my 352a is already setup for the twincharger system and can put out way more fuel than what is needed. So swapping it over to the 366LA shouldn't be and issue. Same goes for the injectors. The only thing I may find is the idle fuel setting on my current pump could be a little lean when on the larger engine.

It will be a wait and see thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts