Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have RennTech 50-5000 (Apex) 35 mm lowering springs. Plan on installing them when I install my 19" wheels and tires 255/40 fr and 275/40 rr take offs from a W221. My Benz is a S420 WITHOUT any auto leveling suspension or added weight options in rear. Up front is light weight small V8 which I assume is the lightest engine in U.S. produced W140 models. Lighter than the larger 12 cyl and the straight 6 cyl engines as well as the larger V8. Stock shims are 13 mm front and 18mm rear. What shims should I go with? Same as stock, 13mm, 18mm, 23mm all away around. Please give your set up detail and feedback. Much appreciated.

·
W124 Moderator
12,584 Posts
There's no weight difference between the 4.2 and 5L M119's. Trial and error on the spring pads. Start with the stock pads and if the result doesn't suit your taste, then adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe you are wrong. The 94 S420 does not have power rear seats, heated rear seat, SLS, charcoal A/C filter, and ASR that all add weight and came standard on a 94 500 along with a heavier engine - larger bore and longer stroke for larger pistons and longer connecting rods times 8. There's definitely a weight difference.

There's no weight difference between the 4.2 and 5L M119's. Trial and error on the spring pads. Start with the stock pads and if the result doesn't suit your taste, then adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
People my car suffered a very stiff ride, the shocks were replaced, other suspension parts has no play at all, I suspect the shims are gone hard. My question is how much does shims affect ride quality and isolation from road and I attempted to replace all four but the a mechanic said it has nothing to do with ride quality, am very confused. Please help

Note: strange thing I noticed when I lift the car in the air and bring it back down it become smother !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What model, what suspension? Conventional, SLS, ADS?
The shims have very little effect on ride. They mainly fine tune ride height by using different thicknesses

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
I believe you are wrong.
No, he stated that there are no weight difference between the M119 engines, and
I think thats close to true. The rods are actually the same length, so the increased sweep
volume I guess must come from wider throw on the crank, and perhaps taller deck or
bigger chamber in the head.
Also take into consideration the engine block material removed to make the wider bore (0.5litre of alu:) ).

More measurement here;
http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/M119/M119_displacement_specs.txt

The total empty weight of a S420 vs S500 is that the S420 is 10kg lighter (1990kg vs 2000kg);
https://mb-w140.de

br,
syljua

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
S320 1997 Conventional

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You may have a broken spring coil(s). That increases the spring rate. And when you jack the car, the spring ends can sometimes lock together temporarily, depending on the break.

Did they replace the shocks with OE parts? Are there any rattles or bangs going over bumps? Has the ride always been rough, or something that just happened?

·
Registered
297 Posts
You may have a broken spring coil(s). That increases the spring rate. And when you jack the car, the spring ends can sometimes lock together temporarily, depending on the break.

Did they replace the shocks with OE parts? Are there any rattles or bangs going over bumps? Has the ride always been rough, or something that just happened?

I don’t believe so the suspension has been inspected several times nothing is broken and no rattling or whatsoever, the Shocks are OE and this roughness started gradually.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Have you checked the front and rear subframe to body mounts? If they've collapsed, you will get a lot of harshness transferred to the body.

I thought that one first, but the are fine, they are not hard even, tomorrow am going to replace the shimes and I will post the result.

Wish me luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yesterday I installed the new shimes but with little improvement, I wonder why the hell front suspension is still stiff !!!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Inspect the lower front wishbone inner bushings, front and rear. If they appear to be off center, bulging, or lopsided, replace them. The rear ones are fluid filled, and can rupture if old, or improperly installed. Both front and rear bushings must also be installed in the control arms with a particular orientation. New replacement arms have been known to have the bushings improperly oriented. There are instructions in the DIY section.

Disconnect the upper control arm from the spindle. You should be able to move it up and down by hand against the resistance of the bushings. If it or the upper ball joints are frozen, replace the arms. If the upper ball joints are split, but the joints are still good, you can replace just the boots with ones from a Porsche 928. Do a search here for a pictorial on how to do it. While the upper control arm is disconnected, make sure you can move the spindle assembly pivoting on the lower ball joint. If the lower ball joint is frozen or extremely difficult to move fore and aft or in and out, replace it.

Make sure the sway bar body mount bushings are good. They should be considered a wear item and periodically replaced. They can wear so badly as to create metal to metal contact.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Inspect the lower front wishbone inner bushings, front and rear. If they appear to be off center, bulging, or lopsided, replace them. The rear ones are fluid filled, and can rupture if old, or improperly installed. Both front and rear bushings must also be installed in the control arms with a particular orientation. New replacement arms have been known to have the bushings improperly oriented. There are instructions in the DIY section.

Disconnect the upper control arm from the spindle. You should be able to move it up and down by hand against the resistance of the bushings. If it or the upper ball joints are frozen, replace the arms. If the upper ball joints are split, but the joints are still good, you can replace just the boots with ones from a Porsche 928. Do a search here for a pictorial on how to do it. While the upper control arm is disconnected, make sure you can move the spindle assembly pivoting on the lower ball joint. If the lower ball joint is frozen or extremely difficult to move fore and aft or in and out, replace it.

Make sure the sway bar body mount bushings are good. They should be considered a wear item and periodically replaced. They can wear so badly as to create metal to metal contact.

Bro believe it or not all the components you have mentioned were replaced but I think the mechanic did something wrong

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
6 Participants
Snipersking
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing