Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a 352a be a viable swap for my 352? I know it was offered in other later mogs, but would it fit a 71 416? Also, are the 352a that were fitted to run snowcutters the same? Would they accept the standard 352 oil pan and accessories? I have a line on one and was thinking that it might be a nice swap to get a few more ponies... Seth

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,404 Posts
esde - 3/16/2005 9:39 PM

Would a 352a be a viable swap for my 352?
Not without a LOT of work. The 'A' stock turbo and manifold require many more inches of clearance under the cab. Take your engine cover off and look how little space you have to work with. However, it has been done...

But, if you want to make the room, the entire engine is the way to go. Do NOT assume a OM352 can be modified to accept the 'A' turbo setup. Many internal mods were made to the motor.

·
Registered
416 doka turbo
126 Posts
It may be a bit of work, but I have converted my 416 and I know of some moggers up in Wyoming who have done it with theirs.

Contact me offlist for details or search the moglist archives for posts about this a few years back.

There weren't necessarily a lot of internal changes to the early OM352a engines from the normally aspirated. The newer, higher output models do have oil cooling jets built in.

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a phone call from a buddy about a strange Mercedes truck a few days ago and went to look at it yesterday. 1978 1116 truck with a tree service boom and dump bed. It also has the 352a engine, at less than 1500 hours. Data on the valve cover is, #34493710527572, 352a family IV, Nov 78, [email protected] Does anyone know if this block would have the oil jets for piston cooling? I know that in stock configuration the engine won't fit, but was thinking that by adapting the turbo to the stock exhaust manifold you might be able to better locate it to fit under the engine cover. And by using the stock valve cover, you could fairly easily plumb the air intake to the turbo. Yes it's a lot of work, but the truck can probably be had for next to free, so I'm thinking about it. Seth 71 416

1 - 4 of 4 Posts