Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first post here, though I've asked a few questions on the pirate 4x4 board. I've recently purchased a 71 416, and have been slowly tracking down all of it's problems. I bought it from a guy in Va named Lou Yarbrough, he's got a dozen or so mogs, though none of them have been driven for at least 3 years, and as they say, they were put away wet. Last night at some point, the block heater, an aftermarket zero start, overheated and died. Melted the heater lines right off, and made the truck stink like burnt plastic. I imagine that it's unlikely that it could've started a fire, but am now wary of this tank type of heater and am looking for a alterntive that people have used with good results. Is there any way to adapt the block heater from a w123 car? Thanks, Seth

·
Registered
UNIMOG, Gelaendewagen
934 Posts
Hey there Seth, I have installed an inline heater on the radiator hose coming from the bottom of the radiator up to the pump. It's ease of instalation and adaptation to the aplication was what sold me on it. You simply cut out about and inch of the hose and place this heater in line with hose clamps. I bought it at NAPA. It takes a little longer to heat up the engine suficiently, but w/ the aid of a hight amperage outdoor rated timer, there is no problom w/ it. I to am interested to see if anyone has any sugestions for a true block heater for the 352. But this option works and is a piece of cake to put in. James Opel

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,430 Posts
I posted this on Pirate, but IMO, the best pre-heater one can get for a Mog is the ESPAR D4 HYDRONIC.

They're a bit spendy ($850) but it's the next best thing to having the factory aux unit installed. No AC plugs to worry about so you can use it in the outback and it's got a 7 day timer. It uses something like 0.1 gal/hr on high (14,000 btu) output and 0.05 gal/hr on low.

Read all about it at http://www.espar.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts