Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 200
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am thinking of trading in my 2001 SLK 200 for either a 350 or 500 SL. although I am fairly up to speed regarding the SLK I know next to nothing about the SL range. I will be spending approx £15000 depending on the trade in price for my SLK. My questions are, which SL is the better car for occaisional use and what should I look out for whilst viewing. I/m hoping to get an SL with less than 65K miles on the clock. Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated, I've always wanted an SL and now have the chance but I don't want to make a very expensive mistake.

Regards,

Mark.

·
Registered
CL500 W140 '97 Coupe
62 Posts
Well, i can't speak from experience of the model in question! But i can speak from 30 yrs of driving nice cars and many 'occasional' weekend toys...if it is to used for enjoyment, then get the 500 and keep on enjoying the ride ;)

Tapatalk from Galaxy S2

·
Registered
11 Mustang Convert,.87 El Camino,09 Avalon Limited,05 GMC Sierra Denali, hunting AMG car.
224 Posts
Well, i can't speak from experience of the model in question! But i can speak from 30 yrs of driving nice cars and many 'occasional' weekend toys...if it is to used for enjoyment, then get the 500 and keep on enjoying the ride ;)

Tapatalk from Galaxy S2
Double Ditto on what he said!!!!!!!

·
Registered
MB SL
4 Posts
I'm assuming you are talking about a trade to an R230 model 350 / 500?

If so - don't even consider the 350, your only left wanting more later.

Not sure what they carry in the UK above the 500, the 500 is good, but my advice would be go as big as you can afford i.e. 550, or 63 if they present themselves and are affordable.

Look for the ones with the AMG sports pack, they look better :)
Pano roof is desirable if you are into that kind of thing - it is seriously not economical to consider retro-fitting later.

Full service history / receipts is always good as you can then -
...check for fixes on the shifter (gets stuck in park and requires tow / $1000K repair) ...check the suspension units have been done or are not leaking
...check roof goes up and down ok
...check drivers window (used most often)
... check if SRS connector on passenger seat has been replaced (Voltage drop issue that causes light to come on, nay not be an issue on RHD model but on LHD it is)

Also, if buying private, check inside of tires (they run a lot of negative camber as standard and as a result wear there first - $1500 for a new set)

Consider an aftermarket warranty if it's not outrageous, SERIOUSLY consider it, these are beautiful cars but they are not cheap to repair when things go wrong, folks I know that have them swears by it and say it pays for itself over and over, folks that don't loath MB for the outrageous repair costs - don't spoil the experience by cheaping out and then not driving it for fear of the repair bill when it breaks .

All the above applies no matter what engine you go for, hence the advice to buy as large as you can afford, if it's an occasional driver the insurance on the larger model shouldn't be an issue as you can put it on a limited mileage policy to keep it affordable but fun :)

Avoid the constant urge of buying lead boots to go with it to keep the consumable costs of tires and speeding tickets down ;-)

Hope this helps !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts